Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #51 
sassyfriend

Ok should I keep him in the little tank he is in? Also should I also get some other kinds of meds just in cause for my other fishies? Just want to be the best owner I can for all of them. Sorry if I've been a pain in the butt
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #52 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfriend View Post
Ok should I keep him in the little tank he is in? Also should I also get some other kinds of meds just in cause for my other fishies? Just want to be the best owner I can for all of them. Sorry if I've been a pain in the butt
You haven't been a pain in the butt. You need to make sure you keep all your thread on one page because it makes it hard for us to help you. Now, if Esau gets sick in another month, then by all means open up another thread. But, if you have two threads on the main page going.... we may be giving contradictory information because we may be asking different questions and only getting parts of the story.

First, make sure you purchase different equipment for each tank. That means different nets, different buckets, different hoses/vacuums, etc... anything that comes in and out of the tank you need one for each tank. This will prevent cross contamination.

Second, I would make sure you have a stockpile of at least a few medications. At PetSmart you can get API General Cure, API Fungus Cure, API Tetracycline and API Erythromycin. You can get Maracyn and Maracyn 2 there as well... but I'm still thinking they have Sulfa in them (although I can't find where I found that now, and my packets don't mention Sulfa in the ingredients). Also Maracyn's active ingredient is Erythromycin anyway.

I would keep him in the hospital tank.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #53 
sassyfriend

Should I just keep it bare as well?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #54 
LittleBlueFishlets

This is what I wrote several days ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Are you able to go to a store like PetSmart? If so, you can try to get these two medications:
1) API General Cure
2) API Triple Sulfa (or) Mardel Maracyn PLUS. (If you are allergic to sulfa medications, do NOT get either of these! Use API Furan 2 instead.)

If you can't get to PetSmart, can you go to Walmart? They have two similar medications that might help. Also buying these at Walmart won't cost as much:
1) Jungle Parasite Clear
2) Jungle Fungus Clear

If you can get these medications, let us know. We can tell you how to add them to Esau's tank.
If you are concerned about costs, ask a family member to take you to Walmart. Most people don't mind going there. Get the two medications I listed for Walmart:
1) Jungle Parasite Clear
2) Jungle Fungus Clear

These two meds should cost less than $10 combined.

I saw on the other thread that you and several family members have a sulfa allergy. But for these two meds, neither one has sulfa in it, so you don't need to worry about that if you get them at Walmart: Jungle Fungus Clear and Jungle Parasite Clear.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #55 
LittleBlueFishlets

@NeptunesMom - Maracyn and Maracyn 2 don't have sulfa..... It's Maracyn PLUS that you're thinking about.

Maracyn - erithromycin (gram positive antibiotic)
Maracyn 2 - minocycline (gram negative antibiotic)
Maracyn PLUS - sulfa drugs -- So Sassyfriend should not get this one.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #56 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
@NeptunesMom - Maracyn and Maracyn 2 don't have sulfa..... It's Maracyn PLUS that you're thinking about.

Maracyn - erithromycin (gram positive antibiotic)
Maracyn 2 - minocycline (gram negative antibiotic)
Maracyn PLUS - sulfa drugs -- So Sassyfriend should not get this one.
Thanks. I was starting to think I might be thinking of Maracyn Plus. I knew the other twos active ingredients, but I swore I read somewhere each had Sulfa mixed into them (which I wasn't sure why they were mixing Sulfa into them, but stranger things have happened).

Do you think the Jungle products will work on the gill problems? I think Sassy thinks he has a gill problem and popeye (although I wondered if it was just the camera angles). I haven't read through all this thread though, so maybe there is something else going on entirely.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #57 
sassyfriend

I am also wondering if something else is going on with him as well. Cause when he does swim he swims like he is frantic or something have no clue why as all my others that are in other tanks swim calmly and seem to be ok.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #58 
LittleBlueFishlets

Sassyfriend - This is why I want you to get these medications. If you get the medications, you can treat him.

Do you know what size tank he is in now? When you do a water change, how much water do you add?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

@NeptunesMom:
1) Jungle Fungus Clear contains the same furan antibiotics that API Furan 2 and Bifuran contain.
2) Jungle Parasite Clear contains the same antiparasitical medications that API General Cure contains.
3) They are both available at Walmart, and are therefore less expensive than the API products. The only difference is that API states the specific amount of each medication. Jungle just states that it contains these medications.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #59 
sassyfriend

I know its less than 2.5 gallons but not sure the actual size.

Was doing new water for him every day but sense I've ran out haven't been able too.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #60 
LittleBlueFishlets

What did you run out of - the water conditioner?

Can you order things online? If so, you can order the medications and water conditioner.

If you can order things online, we can give you links for two medications: Kanaplex and API General Cure. These two medications can help with a lot of different diseases.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 07-30-2013 at 09:14 PM.