Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #11 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmaybyte View Post
We need not look at countless reports there of bad batches of medicine to remember that companies sometimes make bad crops.
That's not the issue though. The warnings some people give out about the product are that it's a systemic problem, not a case of a bad batch.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #12 
ANHEL123

Hey Daz209. You got your betta the way i did, as a gift . Never care about fish before but in love right now. If you fell in love then definitely rescue one from that terrible stores where those beautiful bettas dying.

About bettafix please check the link, check my post #24. And you can also check whole post in general its a lot of tips there
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=142066&page=3

Also for the one gallon and 2.5 gall size tank without the filter , which is absolutely fine do not have a filter for that size of the tank, you need to do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes a week or just one 100% every about 5 days. So i think that also can lead to the problem.

Problem that he had with swimming can be SBD or internal parasites, or internal bacteria ....we don't know since we would need more details. He also might has other external bacterial infection along with internal problems.

Check the link i gave you there is also information how to acclimate the betta to the new water when you doing full 100% water changes, well if you will have new betta...

And when you go to the store try to check the betta for any symptoms of the disease . You don't want betta to be bloated, swim on the side, stay at the bottom, hanging at the top, any visible symptoms on the body like white fluffy patches , long flowing fins,full fins, you don't want to see dark ,discolored edges that are ''smudged'' on the fins.

I would also disinfect the tank and everything in the tank if you decide to buy another betta.
Please let us know if you need any tips on the tank disinfection. I have a very good link to follow.

I know some people scared to buy a betta after they have bad experience , but believe me you only do them a favor rescuing them from the store. And looks like you care since your was doing really good job trying to save him.

Also if you really afraid to buy and get the sick betta from the store let us know and i can give you a few people who breeding them and can mail you healthy betta.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #13 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post

About bettafix please check the link, check my post #24. And you can also check whole post in general its a lot of tips there .
Bettafix and Melafix are not easy to overdose. I've done a round (7 days) of double doses with no problems and am currently doing a round quadruple doses. I'm curious to see just how much it will take....
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #14 
Daz209

Thanks so much! I will definitely keep this in mind with me new fish and save the links:) I did end up getting a 5.5 gallon tank with a filter. Also got some live plants. It only took me a few days to realize I really wanted another betta. :D So I got the tank all set up and got a new fish from the store. I'm sure I didn't do everything right. Still a learning experience I guess. But my new fish Ira seams to be doing quite well in his new home (despite is picky appetite which I hear is normal for bettas). He's a dragon scale crown tail. It's been about two weeks now the only problem I think I'm having is deciding if I should get a different filter (the currents a little strong don't know if thats okay for betta)I don't know how to post pictures on the thread so I just put some pictures up on my profile of Ira the day I got him vs. today if anyone is interested. :) Thank you all so much for your advice! I'll keep doing research and what not to make sure I don't do anything else wrong :D
Daz209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #15 
ANHEL123

I am so glad you got Ira. I don't have filters in my tanks so really not experienced with it.
You do need to baffle up the filter because if it too strong it will bother and stress your betta.
I am going to give you a few links to read so you know what you need to do. The links about fish in cycle and the water changes. And i want to give the link about step by step how to baffle the filter.
If you think it too difficult for you to understand then let us know . You also always can do regular water changes and then you don't need the filter .
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

How to buffle the filter

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

Please let us know how it going:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #16 
Daz209

Thanks so much!! :D
Daz209 is offline   Reply With Quote