Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #1 
Bootsie

My first successful breeding.

My Opaque marble and royal ct's just had their first (for both) breeding. I removed the female before their spawning was over. There seemed to be a LOT of eggs, more so than I was able to care for even if 50% didn't survive. (was this wrong?)

There seems to be no dead eggs so far and they're hatching. I have a sponge filter set on low flow, an air bubbler and it's heated to 80-81* I have microworms ready and some infusoria ready. Once they are free swimming, I will remove the male, will clean out the bottom with a straw will do 25% water changes every 2 days.

I have about 50, 2 liter bottles with the tops cut off for aggressive male separation which will sit on a heating pad keeping the water around 78-80. I plan on keeping non aggressive males together and the females moved into the 20g grow out.

I will be culling and making feeders for my frogs and oscar. At 4 months, the rest will be given to approved homes and my local pet store will buy some as well.

My question is.. what did I miss? I did as much research as possible before I bred but I have a feeling I'm missing something important or doing something wrong. I would love to make as many viable fish as possible but I think my inexperience will hold me back from this. If you have any advise I would love to hear it.

VVVVV My, Max. Being a good daddy :) VVVVV
Attached Images

Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

With your current plan, you probably aren't going t see very good growth. I would do 50% water changes every day and feed them bbs with microworms a bit less often.

Otherwise, congrats on the spawn :)
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #3 
Bootsie

Ahh, I was told with my 20g tank i didn't need to do that big of a water change. I have the brine cultured and was planning on feeding them that around 6-8 weeks. I was told (same person who reccommended the water change) they can't swim fast enough to eat the bbs. Thanks for the advise! I will make the changes and run to the pet store tomorrow

Last edited by Bootsie; 07-28-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Who was telling you this? Both facts are incorrect... In the 20g, I would still be doing 50% water changes every day, especially because this is a large spawn, and I would also be feeding bbs from day one... At 6-8 weeks they will hopefully be on frozen or pellet foods already, if they grow quick.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #5 
Bootsie

A "fish speciality store" that I should have second guessed. I feel like a derp now.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #6 
Ilikebutterflies

You will probably find that 20g to raise fry from eggs will be a lot of work.

Congrats on the successful spawn though!
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #7 
Beezu

i started seeing if my spawn would eat the bbs at 1 week, and have been mostly feeding bbs since they were 3 weeks old.
Beezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #8 
Myates

Toss the micro worms, no nutrition.. feed BBS - I start as the very first food with no issues.

Move to 20g once they start to outgrow the fry tank, about 7+ weeks you'll start to move any aggressive ones (males and females).. there will be nips and chasing prior, but don't remove them until you start to see fin damage.

If you bred in the 20 be careful to spread out the food, as the first week or so they don't swim a whole lot and the food will spread out a lot in a larger tank.
Also when you are cleaning it you will want to use an airline hose to siphon the debris off the bottom - a 20g tank is more of a pain than it's worth to breed in, why usually breeders prefer smaller tanks, 10g being the maximum as it's easier to clean/maintain with the fry.

You said the females will move into a 20g grow out - so what size is your spawn tank?

Yes, these fry are hardier than what most give them credit for.. I've moved them, placed them in a 1g jar to grow, heck - I missed a fry moving the spawn over to a 20 (fry was less than 2 weeks old and still small) and it survived no heater/food for days.

As for cleaning - my best growing spawn was cleaned only every other day at about 30% water change (dripped new water in at 3-5 drops per second).. if there are enough live plants the water will stay cleaner a bit longer and I don't really pay much mind to the "stunt hormone" as I've seen fry raised in 32pz cups from birth, etc and have no stunting. As I said, I've had better growth in fries when I don't do large daily water changes - the hormones don't build up that quickly and the less stress will equal healthier babies which equals better growth all around.
Now, not saying don't do their water changes often - at least every other day do a larger change, and daily try to get some of the dead food off the floor if there is any (I use plecos and snails as my clean up crew).

Once they are juveniles such as 6, 7+ weeks and living in a grow out tank (such as a 30g+) then yeah, you can easily do a water change every 3 days or so with no trouble. But again, lots of live plants will make a big difference. Here is one of my grow outs and some of my plants - makes a difference in overall health with plants!

This particular one has about 11 2-3 week old betta fry in there (a spawn I'm not working on, but don't want to cull them just in case), as well as 3 plecos and a variety of snails from mystery, assassin and ramshorn.
Attached Images

Last edited by Myates; 07-29-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #9 
Bootsie

Thank you very much, Myates, that just filled in all the holes!

I have them in a 20 right now but only about 10g of water. As the weeks go by I was going to slowly increase the water level. I plan on culling, sexing and separating the males as needed. I have loads of marimo moss and crypts ready to be re-added once they're large enough.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #10 
Ilikebutterflies

Quote:
stunt hormone
I don't think there is one. I'll tell you why. I have an aquaponics set up. It houses 20 or so channel catfish at any given time. The fish are all bought as juvies the exact same age and roughly the same size. There will always be several bigger ones as they grow out. We harvest them as they become large enough. Sure enough, when the big ones leave some of the others start getting bigger and so on and so forth.

Something I notice with my spawns is some of them just hang back and don't eat as much. I can drop the BBS in and most of them go crazy zipping around after them but the small ones just kinda hang out. They eat enough to live but not really flourish. I can take all the really small ones out and put them together and sure enough some will take off growing and some will hang back. I wouldn't call them stunted because that sort of implies that they can't get any bigger. Ever. Even my smallest fry that survive eventually grow to be regular sized adult fish.
On another note I have culled entire batches of fry because they weren't growing at acceptable rates. They were a month old and still less than 1/4". They were also very still...they were just off in some way.

I think perhaps heavy water changes and power feeding with BBS makes fish big faster but IME they all eventually get there. Of course, if you are raising betta you do want them grown up and gone fairly quick.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote