Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #1 
InsideTheBurg

Unhappy My poor Furio

My little guy, Furio, is sick. I don't know what it could be. His scales look strange, not really pine-coney just poofed out a little. And he cannot stay under the water he just floats to the top unless he struggles and swims hard down. He ate this morning, I am wondering if maybe it could be bloat? Carmella has the same problem with staying under the water from time to time, but she recovers quickly.
Any ideas? Any suggestions on something I could do for him? He has been my little baby since dealing with his blindness and the trials of that. I can't stand seeing him like this.
InsideTheBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Could you please answer this diagnostics form? I use that form for fish disease threads in other forums and it helps cover all bases much more easily.

Quote:
1. What is the size of your tank?

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #3 
ChristinaRoss

kind of sounds like swimbladder disease with the floating and struggling
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #4 
Kim

Sounds like SBD to me as well. First I'd check your water parameters to rule out an environmental cause, then I'd fast him for a day or two followed by feeding a bit of a mashed up pea if he is still having problems staying upright. Later on, as a routine I always feed my guys daphnia once a week on the evening of their fast day.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #5 
InsideTheBurg

He seems fine today. I've been fasting him. I'll fill out the form, but most of it does not apply since he is in a terribly small bowl because of his blindness.
Carmella has the same issue and she seems fine after each incident.
Here is the form

1. What is the size of your tank? about 1.4 gallon, because he cannot see to eat in anything bigger and also gets stressed in anything bigger.

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used. no kit has been used. but water changes every-other dayusually 4 days a week. Betta conditioner and stress coat are used. No other fish (besides carmella seem to have any probplems at all)

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water? fresh water

4. How long the aquarium has been set up? complete water changes 4 times a week

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? This particular is a white veil tail betta, alone.

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? does not apply

7. What temperature is the tank water currently? 72 degrees room temperature

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium? no

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity. none

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)? no

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)? revieves natural sunlight a few hours in the evening through the window

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate? complte water changes 4 times a week

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule? betta flakes every morning. blood worms as treat less than once a week

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish? staying at top of water.

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis. One does of betta fix, and he seems to be better today
InsideTheBurg is offline   Reply With Quote