Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #1 
vaygirl

Think I got the wrong fish!

I've said I have Emerald Green Cory Cats (Brochis Splendens), cause that's what they were labeled at the store. Last night in a thread somewhere I saw a pic of one and they didn't look much like mine. So I did a lot of searching and now I think I have bronze corys. The main difference is that the dorsal fins of the Emmies touch the caudal fin. On my guys there's a big gap between them. And they seem to have less spines in their fins then the Brochis.

I had three of them and I felt bad because one is always alone and two are always together (hence, Larry, Daryl and Daryl). Today I went to get another and I rechecked that petco had them listed as Brochis Splendens, which they do. So now I'm totally confused. My guys have brown patches and pale bellies. The new guy is way lighter but has the same gap between the dorsal and caudal. I think mine were light when they were new. Maybe the tannins in my water darken mine up? Anyway I'm confused. Haha! BUT I got a new fish! Yay!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #2 
vaygirl

The new guy (Bob) has darkened up to the same color as the others. I think he was just pale from stress. I'm wondering, in corys (cause I know a lot of you have them) is the female noticably bigger? Cause this new one is way bigger then my little guys. I might have to name her Roberta. I got to see them hang out in a pile, which mine never did before. So I think adding one more was better for my guys.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #3 
ChristinaRoss

im pretty sure tannins will not darken a fish. just the water. it sounds like they were stressed and colored up now because their more secure, like bettas do. as far as a female being bigger in corys, ive read thats true, but, also you might have a fish thats simply older and more mature.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:36 AM   #4 
fishyinpa

with my corys,the females were always bigger and wider. hard to tell with my pygmys but i can with the pandas and juliis.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I went to ask at Planetcatfish.com and I got a bunch of people to look at them. They think mine are actually corydoras venezuelanus. So the mystery deepens. :D
Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #6 
Kim

I got some bronze cories that were marked as emerald green cories a while ago. The sad thing is that they were so pale from stress that I almost believed them...that is until I got them home. I'm glad adding another one seems to have evened things out for you :)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #7 
vaygirl

Poor pale corys! That's just how it was with mine at Petco. There weren't really any hiding places in the tanks they were in and it was loaded gouramis. They're pretty happy here. They're in a little cory pile as I type this. So cute.