Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2013, 12:50 AM   #1 
LadyNightraven

Hello, everyone!

I've been here for about a month now, reading threads to expand my knowledge and occasionally asking for advice, and I decided it was time I introduced Rakki and myself.

Feel free to call me Raven or Jen. I'm 25 years old, an avid reader, and devoted mama to four cats, ranging in age from thirteen years to four years, and one betta. This is the first time I've had a betta since I was a kid. It didn't go too well back then since I knew nothing about bettas and made some very novice mistakes, so I didn't think I wanted to have a fish again any time soon. Then Rakki came along.

Rakki was left behind by a previous tenant in one of the other houses my landlords own. (Seriously, who leaves a fish behind?!) Our landlords didn't know what to do with it, so our neighbors who also rent from them suggested they bring the fish to us. We weren't too sure about it, but we figured we'd give it a shot. They brought us a gorgeous male veiltail betta with a dark blue body and red fins. We got him comfortable and set about trying to find him a name. We finally settled on Rakki, which according to Google means "lucky" in Japanese. Even if Google told us wrong, we still like the strong sound of the name for our tough little fish.

We've had a couple of mishaps while I've been trying to learn enough to keep Rakki happy and healthy, but he's shown that he's a tough fish. So here we are, roughly two months later, learning what we can and doing the best we can to keep Rakki healthy and happy.
LadyNightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #2 
LiamB

I'm also considering buying a Betta and I'm glad to hear you took on the responsibility of taking one in! People treat bettas terribly because of how the pet stores keep them it's sad. I'd like to see Rakki though :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
LiamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:04 AM   #3 
Mar

Glad you gave him a good life, even though he was forced on you, and it was totally unplanned for! IT's people like you that make great betta owners! Please post pics of your cats and Rakki whenever you get the chance
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:57 PM   #4 
LadyNightraven

I wouldn't say Rakki was forced on us. :) He was unexpected, that's all. I can't say no to an animal in need, even a fish. I'm glad that we were able to take him and give him the love and care he deserves.

I will try with the pictures, but Rakki is a very stubborn little fish when it comes to the camera. He likes to troll me. He'll flare nicely for me, then zoom off at just the right moment to leave me with a dark-blue-and-red blur instead of a good picture. He's currently missing a bit of his tail because he was tail-biting, so I'm a little reluctant to try to take pictures right now. The cats are also stubborn about pictures. They hate the flash, but they might cooperate tomorrow if I remember to leave the flash off.
LadyNightraven is offline   Reply With Quote