Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #1 
RussellTheShihTzu

Tail Biting Tank Photo Request

I am interested in seeing the tanks of Bettas that are tail biters. I need a full front view that shows the whole tank. It doesn't really matter if the Betta shows up or not; I'm more interested in how the tanks are decorated.

I was thinking if there was a commonality, maybe that would be one step in helping Bettas with this frustrating problem.

Thanks to anyone who helps me. The more tanks pictured the better.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Wish I had a picture... Oh wait I do. But either the site has a brainfart with all my older photos or the photos are wacked because of IHAVENOIDEAWHY. ;(

Anyways... Veiltail male. 10 gallon tank, fabric plants, no substrate. Filtered and heated, he also had a little cave to chill in (which he did use). I used lights for 10-12 hours, the other 12 (night) they were off. He began tail biting... I tried to rearrange décor, add new stuff, take away certain stuff... No. It got WORSE. Almost NO tail left.

To avoid infections, and to keep an eye on him, I stuck him in a heated 1 gallon with sand substrate and one silk plant (also had a light ontop). Guess who stopped tail biting? -facepalm- Meant more water changes for me.

Another one hated isolation. He was my bedroom betta. Chewed up his pretty yellow fins. I moved him upstairs in a high traffic area (area between living room and kitchen) and he stopped chewing his fins.

All in all I try the following for biters:

- remove from divided tanks.
- different sized tanks (bigger or smaller)
- change the external environment (bedroom VS kitchen VS living room)
- change or remove ornaments
- rearrange ornaments
- up water changes
- change water change routine (leaving in the tank VS removing)
- remove/baffle/add filter
- add/remove/change substrate
- put IN a divided tank (I had one tail bite when he was no longer in a divided tank)
- see if blackwater extract/IAL helped.
- remove or put into a community tank.
- cram the tank full of live, fabric, silk plants... (never know, they could be bored!)
- exercise more often with mirrors...

The list can be endless
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:24 PM   #3 
Seki

This is old, and the betta is deceased, but this was Zen's 5.5 gallon tank. It was filtered and heated with a pagoda, bridge, and several silk plants.

This is the tank before he was in it. (and before the heater was added)

ETA: This tank now belongs to my HMPK, Hiei. He has lived in it for many months and never had a single problem, although I'm not sure it's possible for plakats to tailbite. Just thought I'd throw that out there, though.
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote