Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Banana leaves work similar, but IAL still reigns supreme over any other leaf, or chemical method.

Fin rot is most commonly caused by bad water quality. Usually when I get a new fish, I do more water changes in a quarantine to avoid contamination, and to deal with any problems they had during their pet-store-stay. Try upping your water changes, and ordering IAL (I so recommend Amy-Linn as she is the BEST seller, communicator, and I trust her product 'til the very end! Sometimes you get a surprise with purchase :p) will help too. Make sure to have a heater, so their immune system stays good and healthy
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #12 
freedomgladiator

If its not fin rot and the fin rip out from a fight....its a guess because i dont know the past from it,and didnt take pictures from them,which from now on i will do,will the fins recovered at the right form after a short period of time with properly "healing"?
freedomgladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

For a healthy Betta, fins should heal no matter what. Really bad damage (or even an old betta) will leave wonky looking fins, meaning they won't grow back to what they used to be.

One case, was a rescue. He was tossed in with cichlids or something stupid. NO fins left. Took him in, healed him up... Scales grew back, and fins began to grow back slowly.

Shiloh had more difficulties growing his fins back, also due to the immense amount of fin loss (his faceplate was also torn, and his beard too!) but for his condition he did pretty dang good.

THOSE are major damage fish. For simple damages... Fin rot, blown fin (over flaring usually), ornament-related tears, fighting tears... They can heal pretty well, pretty fast. Time frame: 2 days to 2 weeks.

Also depends on the husbandry. If it might be fin rot... Up the water changes. If the fins are ripped, keep up on your water changes, to avoid infections. Septicemia, is caused from yucky water... The bacteria gets into wounds, like bitten or torn fins, and is just a right out pain.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:37 PM   #14 
freedomgladiator

You help a lot i can say.Shiloh must be a stong betta to survive after all that.You really save it!I do water changes to all my tanks 100% after 3-4 days,wash with hot water everything,aged water and condition.I will try aquarium salt though.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Just make sure to pre-dissolve the salt before adding it. And daily water changes, with re-adding only the amount you take out... Works very well that way and lowers the amount of time they need to be in salt.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:09 AM   #16 
freedomgladiator

You suggested me Amy-Linn for the IAL.Although I am waiting from a friend who lives at Holland and told him to go at the bettas show which take place in August to sent me some IAL and find a breeder named Joep ther,where can i find Amy-Linn?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #17 
Sena Hansler

eBay just look up Indian Almond Leaves and hers say "Amy's ______" as the product (she sells banana leaves and a few other things too)
Old 08-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #18 
freedomgladiator

I just found her.A couple minutes ago.Thank you.But i am confused about the "grades?"what did you bought?And I dont trust paypal.I am looking at my country....but nothing.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Paypal is okay, it's the SELLERS to watch for! I use it limited.

Usually grades are Grade C, Grade B and Grade A. Grade A is top quality, B middle, and C is low. But her Grade C is still decent! Some other sellers don't have the quality behind their product.