Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #1 
LizbethDawn

Ocular Albinisim?

I saw someone who had a betta on tumblr and I've seen it here before too where form a certain angle the betta's pupil looks red. I've got a boy that's like that and this girl said maybe her fish has ocular albinism.

It's just what it literally sounds like they are albino but only in their eyes. I could only find information about it in humans but one of the problems is that it can greatly reduce their vision which would explain why he can't seem to find his food.

Has anyone else had a fish like that?
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #2 
fleetfish

It's a very rare trait and I've only ever had two or three out of the dozens of bettas I've had over the years. One I almost considered pure albino, he was a pure white/cellophane VT and he didn't live long. All of them were blind or very sensitive to light, so I took very few pictures. I really wish I could find the pics I did take, since it showed the pinkish tint to their eyes. :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #3 
Seki

I am curious about this and subscribing. My new platinum white boy seems to be at least partially blind. He cannot see anything smaller than Omega One pellets, so he doesn't eat NLS. At first I thought he was picky, but then I realized he couldn't SEE the pellets and started to worry a little. He also cannot seem to see his reflection because he'll ignore the mirror until it gets to a certain angle and then he'll freak out and flare up.

Does anyone have a picture of an albino betta? Not that mine is, but I am curious.
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #4 
LizbethDawn

My boy doesn't see his food unless it falls RIGHT in front of his face and he moves a lot so feeding is oh so fun.

He also can't seem to see bigger things at a distance. I tried putting his tank right up against Phoenix's tank so they could flare and get some exercise and just nothing. Phoenix will be going crazy and putting on a show and the little CT is just oblivious.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #5 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizbethDawn View Post
My boy doesn't see his food unless it falls RIGHT in front of his face and he moves a lot so feeding is oh so fun.

He also can't seem to see bigger things at a distance. I tried putting his tank right up against Phoenix's tank so they could flare and get some exercise and just nothing. Phoenix will be going crazy and putting on a show and the little CT is just oblivious.
Yes, I have noticed this with Altair. He's in a divided 5.5 with Kurama, one of my HMPKs. Kurama is going nuts all the time at the divider, flaring his little heart out, and Altair only notices him about 1/5 of the time. Most of the time he's oblivious to it and seems bored. I'll try and get a good picture of his eyes tonight, maybe they are what you're talking about? They look a little protruding... I thought at first he had popeye, but now I don't think so, I think that's just how his eyes are.
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote