Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #11 
Puremuttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Lovely guy! The best thing about a 10 gallon is that you can split it for future bettas!
Very true. By the time I get the 10g here and set up, I may split it so I can add a 2nd handsome betta if I come across one. :)

One thing I'm curious about with split tanks...can they see each other, and if so, isn't it stressful for them to flare up at each other? I felt bad making him flare up earlier to verify he was male, but reading around on the forum I've seen it mentioned a couple times that it's ''good'' for them to flare up occasionally?
Puremuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

If you split a tank, you can put plants along the divider so they can't really see each other that well. Yeah, flaring won't hurt them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:06 AM   #13 
AlexXx

hey will eventually get used to seeing each other, its no worse than seeing their own reflection, which they think is another betta.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #14 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Your little guy is very handsome :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #15 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puremuttz View Post
Very true. By the time I get the 10g here and set up, I may split it so I can add a 2nd handsome betta if I come across one. :)

One thing I'm curious about with split tanks...can they see each other, and if so, isn't it stressful for them to flare up at each other? I felt bad making him flare up earlier to verify he was male, but reading around on the forum I've seen it mentioned a couple times that it's ''good'' for them to flare up occasionally?
Nah, it doesn't stress them. They just have to get used to it.

I have 3 males in a divided tank and they actually seem to LIKE the company and they always have something to do.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #16 
Puremuttz

Thanks. Right now his only companion is a blue mystery snail, and while he nipped him once, the rest of the time he's been sticking close by, like he enjoys the company.

No aggression, no flaring, and no more nips (maybe he was taste testing? LOL)

Assuming my friend is able to get the 10g from her grandma's place, I will be having fun putting that tank together so I can give Jasper (the betta's name) more room, and maybe a neighbor if I find another betta I just can't pass up. :)
Old 11-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #17 
Puremuttz

-=nevermind=- I may have found a 5g, but I have to check to see how close/far away this person is, to see if it's even manageable to pick up.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #18 
AngelicScars

He is very pretty and I'm happy to see that you are upgrading! Especially with him having a tankmate, usually the rule of thumb with tankmates is having them in at least 10 gallons or more. Since it is just one snail, I think a 5 gallon should be fine.

Also, females do flare too. All of mine did! Males tend to do it more and put on a much bigger show. The best way to tell the male and females apart (besides the fin size) would be checking for the egg spot on the belly.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #19 
Puremuttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicScars View Post
He is very pretty and I'm happy to see that you are upgrading!
Of course I am. :P The 1g was really just to have something for him ''for now''. I will be getting a 10g in the future, but I am not sure how soon, because I didn't think to ask when my friend would be heading over to her grandma's house, or when they'd be in my area afterwards.

I am hoping to find a 5g for the time until then, just to give him more room to swim and more ground room to add hidey holes and such.

I will enjoy when I finally get the 10g and can decorate it nicely for him.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #20 
Kim

Welcome! Your plans sound great, and I must say that's a handsome boy you have there :)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote