Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #11 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethbridge View Post
Also i know you shouldn't have gravel in a tank but my aspect on things is that the strong will live and the disformed will die off i know not alot of people like to hear this but i want a betta line to become strong and stay strong and not have bad genes in a line.
the thing is the male has to scoop them up with his mouth, also if you have gravel the male should see the eggs to bring them to the bubble nest, Im confused how you're going to make this work?
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #12 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
Quote:
I am going to condition both males and females and i am going to attempt to breed both sets at a time if this does not occur i am going to remove the set that does not breed and move it to my planted aquarium. Thus opening the entire tank for the fry. Also take a look at the pictures and in the back you will see a clear plastic breeding trap in the back of each side, there is where i will put the females when i introduce them to the tank.
that makes sense
Old 11-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #13 
Lethbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by k stiles View Post
the thing is the male has to scoop them up with his mouth, also if you have gravel the male should see the eggs to bring them to the bubble nest, Im confused how you're going to make this work?
I know the male will have the scoop the eggs up, there is a very thin layer of gravel right under the bubble nest so i will just pile it up a bit more and leave that area clean of gravel. Anything else you dont understand about my setup?
Lethbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #14 
k stiles

no not really, it's just different, and I like it something out of the ordinary it's good
(:
Old 11-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #15 
AlexXx

I wouldnt put gravel in the bottom for 2 reasons.

1) Your male needs to be able to pick up the non-free swimming frye off the floor easily. It might be harder for him to grab them with the gravel.
2) Its going to be very hard to clean with the gravel, the frye are going to make a bit of waste, not to mention the ones that die off that will contaminate the water. Your not going to be able to see the waste with the gravel. You need to be able to use a turkey baster to grab the poo off the floor. You must keep prestine water conditions to keep the fry healthy. Plus they excrete some anti-growth hormone that stunts the growth of their siblings. This is ANOTHER reason you must keep the small water changes going along with the poo and waste off the ground!

Oh and also, i would take some water out, probly about half. Your poor male is going to have to swim ALOT more with all of that water to keep the non-free swimming frye at the top of the water!

Sorry im not telling you what to do, just giving you my 2 cents. i hope you change your mind about your set up!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #16 
Lethbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by k stiles View Post
no not really, it's just different, and I like it something out of the ordinary it's good
(:
okay so explain to me what you dont understand?
Old 11-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #17 
Lethbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
I wouldnt put gravel in the bottom for 2 reasons.

1) Your male needs to be able to pick up the non-free swimming frye off the floor easily. It might be harder for him to grab them with the gravel.
2) Its going to be very hard to clean with the gravel, the frye are going to make a bit of waste, not to mention the ones that die off that will contaminate the water. Your not going to be able to see the waste with the gravel. You need to be able to use a turkey baster to grab the poo off the floor. You must keep prestine water conditions to keep the fry healthy. Plus they excrete some anti-growth hormone that stunts the growth of their siblings. This is ANOTHER reason you must keep the small water changes going along with the poo and waste off the ground!

Oh and also, i would take some water out, probly about half. Your poor male is going to have to swim ALOT more with all of that water to keep the non-free swimming frye at the top of the water!

Sorry im not telling you what to do, just giving you my 2 cents. i hope you change your mind about your set up!
i do understand where you are coming from, however 2 things if i remove the gravel i will upset the bubble nest that the betta has already made and the same goes if i lower the water level, and i know you will say that the betta will build a new one however this is the first betta that i have had that actually builds a bubble nest so thats one thing i dont like.
Also would it be best to keep the lights on 24/7 now or just when the female is added?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #18 
k stiles

Quote:
okay so explain to me what you dont understand?
I just said I don't have any more questions! Alexx is right too, well, my only suggestion is that you postpone it a few more days to get the gravel out.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #19 
Lethbridge

so just destroy the bubble nest then?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #20 
k stiles

also for the lights, It depends on how long it takes the two to get down to buisness and spawn