Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2013, 01:34 AM   #781 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Guppy in the 20g (former sorority) dropsied and was put down today. Swordtail is next. I don't know what I'm going to do. I might just have to black and restart, which would break my heart since it's been established for what... Four (?) years now. Except that would leave me with a homeless BN pleco. Ugh.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #782 
Saphira101

So sorry Matt! You've been having to deal with too many diseases lately. Hope things get better!
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #783 
Mahsfish

IME dropsie isn't too contagious unless the fish are weak. You should be alright hopefully
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #784 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Believe me, I've dealt with dropsy enough to know how to deal with it. You have to remember that dropsy is a condition, not a disease, and the the disease that causes it may very well be contagious. I'm not taking chances. I would rather go through sanitizing and cycling the tank then watching my valuable and quite high quality girls die.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #785 
Mahsfish

Oh. Well like I said in my experience it hasn't be bad. When I've felt with it I just isolate the other fish and the rest are fine. I've only gotten it twice.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #786 
Mahsfish

Good luck
Old 08-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #787 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Believe me, I've dealt with dropsy enough to know how to deal with it. You have to remember that dropsy is a condition, not a disease, and the the disease that causes it may very well be contagious. I'm not taking chances. I would rather go through sanitizing and cycling the tank then watching my valuable and quite high quality girls die.
Exactly. The underlying cause needs to be eliminated. Dropsy is fluid retention symptom of another underlying illness which shows as abdominal swelling leading to pine coned scales the symptoms are the result of internal organ failure and the subsequent fluid buildup. Underlying causes could be anything, bacteria, parasites ect. who knows so full break down and scrub job is the way to go. Once organs fail its nearly impossible to get them back to health. Ive tried hard and never brought a betta back from this fully. Edema happens to people too and is also the result of an underlying problem.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #788 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yup. I've tried and tried and tried and have never been able to save a fish from dropsy... IMO/E once they pinecone chances are they can't be saved and it's time to think about getting out the clove oil.

My old vt girl is still doing well despite not having half her mouth. What a fighter. She still eats well and still attacks the pellets... That really makes me hopeful. Got kanaplex in her jar today, hopefully it will start to heal up.

Got a filter on my two hmpk boys tank today. Yay!

With the 20g even if I want to bleach it it's not my choice... The tank is technically my brothers, so I would have to get his permission. However, even if he says no, He can't stop me from not stocking it. But that would leave me with no place to put my girls. Sigh.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #789 
Mahsfish

Hopefully you can fix everything up Matt. When my girl had the fungus attack on her side and looked like she had no hope she still bounced back. I hope this can happen for you. Except the whole no hope part.
Good luck with the dropsie. I've experienced the same. Once they pine one its been lights out for them. But my other fish seem to have been fine. Good luck
Old 08-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #790 
Mahsfish

Well my uncle just told be that one of my bettas have died. He said yellow topped jar but idk which one exactly. I think is my old vt girl though. Sad, but at least it wasn't my hms