Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #51 
Viva

AQ salt should definitely be tried first before any medications. You can start at 1 tsp/gallon and maybe bump it up a little after a few days (max would be 3 tsp/gallon). Don't treat him with AQ salt for more than 10 days. Hopefully that will work for your little cute CT!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #52 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I actually disagree Viva. I know for a long time that I also advocated for salt to be used before medications but upon further research I'm finding that medications are much less stressful than they used to be. Sure 5-10 years ago and more, medications were much more harsh than AQ salt so that's why it was always suggested to use it before medications but since then, we've really stepped up with medications and now they are much less stressful!

Honestly the only thing that AQ salt does is agitate the slime coat and balance out electrolytes which, yes, that is good but it doesn't do much for advancing fin rot. If it actually is more fin rot then I would suggest to start the use of Erythromycine or BettaFix even, KanaPlex is great as well, basically any antibiotic.

Erythromycine will treat more of the gram negative bacteria (which I find mostly is fin rot I believe) and some gram positive, while Tetracycline will treat more gram positive and some gram negative. So if you find that Erythromycine doesn't work, you can use the Tetracycline instead. It's similar to combining Maracyn I & II which you can also use for Fin rot.

Keep in mind though, the more you use a medication the less it will be effective later in life, generally. This isn't always the case but it does and can happen
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #53 
Viva

That la for clarifying, I was just going by what the illness thread on the forum says which I realize was posted a few years ago. I e had success with AQ salt for fin rot with my betta Cinder.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #54 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, it definitely depends on the level of fin rot that the fish has. If it's mild to nearly nothing then sure, AQ salt is going to help. It's mostly the daily water changes that get's rid of it though. For more severe cases medication should be used.

Since Tamsin explained that nearly the whole anal fin is going to fall off, yeah, I think it's time for actual medications lol

I would still like pictures Tamsin of him to be sure.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #55 
Viva

I see. And, yes pictures would be great!
Old 08-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #56 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I always use a conservative treatment if possible before jumping strait to meds, mainly because of the antibiotic resistant bugs that humans are creating because of our overuse of antibiotics... And that's definitely something I would like to prevent. Of course, if fins are falling off or (in my case right now) the mouth is rotting, it's time to use meds... But a fish with fin rot doesn't need them.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote