Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #11 
InfiniteGlory

Can somebody confirm that if I cut both the roots and tops short from the begining will it stay short? that has been the consensus of my research.

because you know they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol, you can cut the roots to stimulate growth, that will help.

In my research it does grow back after being trimmed, that's part of being a carpet plant. Just like normal grass outside, you trim it and a few weeks later it's already over growing. But that's IF you have good enough lighting and ferts. So you can gvie the top just a slight trim for now so it's not too terrible looking when you plop it in. Make sure to get rid of all the gel as well, it won't harm anything but it's just a pain in the butt is all
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #13 
InfiniteGlory

several youtube vidoes indicate that if the roots are trimmed to stimulate the growth and the tops are cut short that it will stay short. I find that hard to believe though. guess i need to invest in an underwater mini lawnmower for the tank now

The package didn't have any gel on the roots that I could tell. it was just in a small sealed clear plastic bag. So last night i took it out and put it in a small container with one drop of prime and sat it next to my tank.

The DHG looks very healthy so hopefully I can get it planted this weekend. am I going to need to invest in root tabs? My swords are doing fine and I have never put in root tabs.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You don't necessarily need root tabs but it will definitely help them grow! My swords were fine without them but they started to get flimsy so I added root tabs and now they're much healthier, growing quicker and firmer leaves.

Yeah I don't think that's very true about the hairgrass....I've seen plenty of youtube vids were people are cutting their carpet's because well...it grows!! lol Although if you are worried about it, don't trim the top, give the roots a bit of a trim and then plant it. For the first month or so it's not going to do much but once it's fully acclimated to the water chemistry and the lighting, it will start to grow and then you can trim after that ^_^
Old 08-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #15 
InfiniteGlory

I was hoping to find something that would stay short in the 1"-2" range and this was what I came up with and what was available local.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It will be short after it acclimates to your tank and doesn't melt or anything. You can then safely trim it whenever it get's too high. I think what they're talking about and this happens often with plants, when cut out in the open air it does something and reacts against the plant but when cut under water, it keeps it alive and healthy. Well alive is relative. But that's what florists do when cutting flower's, cut the stems at an angle and under water and it will live longer in a vase.

So I would assume that's more what's going to happen with the hairgrass. But once it's root and growing, you can trim it down wherever you want it to and it will grow back
Old 08-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #17 
InfiniteGlory

I guess I will give the trim a try and some of them and see what happens. I have to work on a lighting issue this weeked before planting.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, always worth a shot. You can always buy more if it doesn't work the way you want it to.