Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #1 
Paper

What's wrong with my betta's head? Holes/sores/??

Hello, I'm new to the forum as well as to betta keeping. I got a male betta about two weeks ago and I noticed he had some small pink spots on his head. I thought it might be missing scales so I didn't worry about it initially, but now I think it's gotten worse. I usually research to diagnose problems but I figured it'd be easiest to just ask some people who may be able to tell me definitely what is going on.

He's in a five gallon filtered and heated tank. He has no tankmates. The temp should be around 76-78F, I don't currently know the water parameters (I need to go buy a new test kit,) but I do frequent water changes. He's been acting normally as far as I know. He eats well and he likes to pace the back wall of the tank. I haven't noticed any darting or running into things.

So from the pictures below, do you guys think he has a disease or infection or something? It looks like holes to me, so I was thinking something bacterial? Thanks.

(Sorry that the pictures are a little blurry.)
Attached Images

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #2 
itsuki

sounds like.........

Hole in the Head Disease
•Symptoms: lesions (holes) will appear around the head area, Lethargy, Loss of appetite
•Treatment: HITH can be treated conservatively with Aquarium salt. Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration and remember not to continue this for more than 10 days. Keep the temperature between 80-82*F and perform daily 100% water changes. If conservative treatment fails then use API General Cure OR Jungle’s Parasite Clear fizz tablets.
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #3 
Paper

Thanks for the reply! Also, since he's alone in his tank, should I leave him in it and treat it with salt or should I move him to a fish bowl or something?
Paper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacterial infection, disease, infection, sick