Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #1 
jadaBlu

Do you think I'd be able to find homes for offspring from these two fish?

I bought this female (Clarice) for my sorority I was not looking to breed her. When she arrived I noticed how much she looks like my male Ollie. You can't tell from the pictures but she has similar markings on the head as Ollie. I really like him and I'd like to have a few of his offspring and rehome the rest. They are not show quality fish but I find them adorable but if I can't find homes for the rest obviously it would be challenging. I'd plan to cull the eggs so I would not end up with very many fish. Do you think they'd produce any decent offspring?

http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php?albumid=5986&pictureid=75426

jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #2 
Darth

This is why breeding bettas haphazardly is not a good thing, I have seen many on here that should never be put together, the bad thing is most people on here encourage this behavior by posting "Ohh he's adorable or he is beautiful" and the fish is inherently flawed by bad form or mixed colors if you want to breed have a game plan, stick to known money making colors or tail types in the long run it will be better for you and the fish pretty is fine but not when it hurts the fish finding homes and losing out to the fish that were carefully bred.
I have seen numerous times people will show bad fish and everyone will chime in to say how pretty it is, get good bloodlines or even culls most breeders will send you good genetics in culls for shipping costs this way you know what is in a fish and what it most likely will produce culls doesn't mean garbage fish it just means those fish dd not make the grade to show, but perhaps their siblings did and these will have the same genetics. Pet fish are fine just perhaps not the best choice for breeding, remember Bettas can have 3 or 4 hundred young at the time and these will have to have homes.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

The female is from aquabid male petstore. My current objective is not to become a breeder nor to make money off the fish. I'd probably give the fish away except shipping. I'd like to cull the eggs so end up with 40 or so. Either way if I were to breed them it would not be any time soon. I have other committents right now.
So you feel even if the fish were free no one would want them?
Old 08-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #4 
Darth

I am sure someone would, if you show pics of the fry Bettas are pretty easy to home. Just have them send you shipping costs or give them away local, if they have 2 colors and they are clean you could perhaps get better response.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #5 
snowflake311

There is no way to know what you will get till you try. No one knows the real background of the fish so who knows what they could produce for you. The photos make it hard to tell what the fish really looks like.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #6 
Ilikebutterflies

I will say this: a clear picture is worth it's weight in gold. If you are able to take clear pictures you have a better chance of re-homing your fry. It is very hard to re-home fry without good clear pics of the parents and the fry themselves.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #7 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
I will say this: a clear picture is worth it's weight in gold. If you are able to take clear pictures you have a better chance of re-homing your fry. It is very hard to re-home fry without good clear pics of the parents and the fry themselves.
SO SO True. When I look at fish on aquabid I only look at the ones that have a clear photo of the fish. If the photo is a blur or the color looks weird I pass on the fish. I want to have a good idea of what the scales look like and the rays in the fin. I want to see all the details not just guess.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #8 
Darth

I hate when they stretch the pic so you can not see the form well or the flaws, I wont look at them to buy as a serious investment
Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #9 
trilobite

Once I bought a fish with a blurred picture. was real expenny too, about $80 + $40 shipping.
The blurred pic looked good, like a dragon hmpk. with decent form...it arrived as the most ugliest, bloated thing you could ever see in your life. The only nice thing I could say about it was that it was a dragon...I hated it...then the bloody thing gets dropsy and dies within a week anyway. I was pissed off.
So yeah, never buy or sell a fish without good clear pictures.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #10 
jadaBlu

The pic is as the site posts it. I've read some of the breeding info and I am sure I could not breed them anytime soon if I do it at all. Next year if I still have the interest and the fish do also perhaps then.