Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #1 
midnightsun332

Choosing my first fish

I'm new to fish, and planning to get a fish or two soon. I'm trying to find a fish who can be alone or in a small group. I can't handle a large group because I won't have a very big tank at first, but I want to have a fish who could have a friend or two in there. I'll probably have about a 2-3 gallon tank for a while, and try to find a larger one when I can. I will have a 10 gallon limit for a few years though.

I like bettas, but can they be in groups with other fish? Would a female betta accept other fish better? I was thinking of cory catfish as companions or instead of a betta, but I don't know if I can find them here. Do they need a larger tank? Any other suggestions if these don't sound like the right fish? I'm looking for one without really special care since I'm new.
midnightsun332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Cories will get along fine with bettas but it really depends on the betta's personality whether or not he'll accept tankmates. This goes for females too.You can't add tankmates to a 2-3 gallon, though. It's just big enough for 1 betta.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #3 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
I agree with dramaqueen, rosy red minnows work well though too (in a bigger tank)
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #4 
midnightsun332

Thanks. I won't put more than one in if I get that tank size then. Is it a bad idea to get a betta in that size tank, then when I can find a bigger tank (probably in a month, or 2 weeks if I got really lucky) to find other fish too? Would the betta be more territorial after being alone?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #5 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
I don't know about that, but as long as you introduce them at the same time I belive they should be fine. It aslo depends on your fishies personality too.
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #6 
midnightsun332

I just found out the tank I'm looking at is barely over 5 gallons, not 2-3. I can't estimate gallons very well so I found the actual measurements this time. Good surprise though.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #7 
Jupiter

I don't think you can add cories to a 5 gal. I'm iffy about it, anyway. Maybe a few ottos, shrimp, or african dwarf frogs?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #8 
AngelicScars

If you plan on having tankmates, I suggest 10+ gallons. 5 gallons is great for one betta. If you google, you'll see that there are very few fish that can be in a 5 gallon tank.
Having successful tankmates all depends on your betta's personality. Cories do need to be in a group of 3-6 (depending on who you ask).
Don't invest into any animal without expecting to do work. Betta "the easy fish" still needs constant care, along with any other fish. Tanks takes weeks to cycle, or if you don't cycle a tank, you'll be cleaning it on a monthly bases (or more often depending on the size) along with frequent water changes.
I hope that helps!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #9 
chrisb1221

I have 4 Ghost Shrimp in with my Betta and they get along fine, but as everyone else has said, it depends on your betta's personality. He may, or may not accept any tank mates..If you go with shrimp they just might end up as a snack for Mr. Betta. Shrimp are pretty cheap so in my own opinion they're the best option to keep in a 5gal with a betta. They'll also help keep your tank clean if you keep them, and they're A LOT of fun to watch believe it or not. But as stated before it's up to your fish. But hey, they're cheap and if things go wrong he can at least eat the shrimp. Easier than trying to relocate a fish.
chrisb1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #10 
ChristinaRoss

id suggest what angelicscars said, or only about 2 or 3 shrimp or one oto.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote