Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #1 
tlatch89

Edward keeps ripping his back fin.

When i first got my fish, his back fin got a little torn up, ao i took out the plastic plants. About a week ago, his back fin ripped again, and had pretty much healed up. Tonight, his back fin is pretty mich split in two lol.

I have a prefilter sponge on the intake, and live plants that are pretty soft. I don't know how he is doing it, i have a rock in the middle of the tank and some gravel.. Any ideas?
tlatch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #2 
Micho

It's called tail biting. :)

He's probably frustrated with something or he's bored in general. If the current is too strong he'll rip off his tail to help him swim better!

Many people have tried to fix this habit, usually by keeping their Betta occupied. Most common trick is to place a ping pong ball and let it float around, he'll keep pecking at it hopefully.

There's no real cure for this. Just keep the water clean and warm, maybe add some Stress Coat. Some people say that promotes faster fun regeneration.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #3 
HeadlessLegoMom

Do you have a picture? It is possible also that he may have flared too hard and had a fin blow out.

Vita-Chem may help him regrow it faster in addition to the stress coat.

Micho: When you say there is no cure that is not exactly true. Some people have gotten their fish to stop biting by addressing the issue, which often takes a lot of trial and error. I have seem multiple posts of owners realizing that their fish require a certain amount of hours with light and a certain amount in darkness along with other discoveries that led to the end of the fin biting behavior. It isn't always boredom...
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:28 AM   #4 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessLegoMom View Post
Do you have a picture? It is possible also that he may have flared too hard and had a fin blow out.

Vita-Chem may help him regrow it faster in addition to the stress coat.

Micho: When you say there is no cure that is not exactly true. Some people have gotten their fish to stop biting by addressing the issue, which often takes a lot of trial and error. I have seem multiple posts of owners realizing that their fish require a certain amount of hours with light and a certain amount in darkness along with other discoveries that led to the end of the fin biting behavior. It isn't always boredom...
There's a lot of things that causes tail biting, I've heard of some Bettas being in large tanks and constantly biting their tail, then being relocated to smaller tanks and it stops. While a cure is one definite treatment, tail biting does not have one, since every Betta is different and what makes them tail bite is different, it's very hard to say that there is a cure for tail biting.

Like you said it's trial and error, and most of the time people can't figure it out.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:39 AM   #5 
HeadlessLegoMom

No, there is no solitarty cure for tailbiting, but if you are able to identify what is causing the behavior, then you can effectively eliminate the problem, therefore CURING it. I don't know what you meant by saying, "a cure is one definite treatment". A cure would be the end result of treatment, not the treatment itself.
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote