Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #1 
louu

Exclamation unusual finrot?

ok this is what is happening-

his fins are dissapearing
he rubs against everything (inbetween the side of the bowl and thermometre/heater/filter)
he goes for long periods of inactivity to erradic behaviour he hasnt lately but for a while he was lying sideways on the bottom of the bowl.
he is still eating but only when he is up and swimming around

my questions (before you read the mammoth story) are is it as simple as finrot and if it is where do i get antibacterial meds or other treatments

does stress cause finrot

now that everything is stable why does he keep getting worse

is finrot fungal? i have some i have some Marine Master multi cure for diseases including fungals but i have been too scared to use it because he is so sensitive to change

He has gone through a pretty rough ride nearly dying more than a few times. First we put him in our tank water and i believe he was on his last hour then we put him in our pond water which the gold fish are doing well in. But it is quite dirty (filter has broken) this was when his fins first started to dissapear (they had receeded severely from the tank water) i thought it was the water quality so with pond and tank water out of the question i bought some store water and put him in a small maybe 3 litre tank (he was in a 6 litre tank but the filter made it hard for him to swim and i wanted him in the loungeroom where we can keep an eye on him) when we put him in store water (guiltily i only let it sit for 24 hours) again he almost died so i put more pondwater in there. at this point i had a plant in there and almost overnight the nitrite shot up because leaves were dying. I removed it and did a 50%water change with store water once more he was on his last breath so now he is in 50/50 pond and store water but his fins get worse there is no decaying finnage brown or white why is he flashing and then not moving for hours what does the rubbing mean

thanks SO much if anyone could help and sorry if im being silly but im worried it might be something worse than finrot

thanks again - louu
louu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

My head is spinning with all that you posted. Without knowing the levels of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph etc... in all of your different types of water, you have no way of knowing what's currently toxic for your fish or what he's been exposed to. Do you have any way to test your water levels?

Can you just fill your tank with tap water that's been pre-treated with water conditioner? Preferably Prime?
Are you using all those different water sources because your tap water has high levels of something harmful?

Get him into some safe, conditioned water first and go from there.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #3 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
stop right there! run to the pet store (petsmart or petco) and get some beta water and put him in there with some betta fix, soon after give him a salt batha few times (weekly), after all of that if his finns are still disapearing well I have no idea what to do.
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:19 AM   #4 
louu

oh thank you so much im so sorry about my garbled post i was a little worked up when i wrote it i dont have much luck with fish and i desperately want this one to make it...

i dont know whats wrong with my tap water but it has killed more than one fiish even with all the conditioner and levels right.

i only have tests for nitrite and ph but will buy ammonia tests asap along with betafix if they have it, being in australia theres no garauntee so i need to know what sort of treatment is needed im assuming this is fungal but i dont want to make a mistake also could you please explain the salt baths because to be honest they scare me

at any rate i can get my petshop to help me out they seem competant in fish

thank you again i cant express my gratitude just need some help
louu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Can you get your hands on the API Freshwater Master test kit?

In the meantime, bring a sample of your water to your fish store to have them test it. And K Stiles has it right that you need to get some relief for your fish right away. Get some water from your pet store and see if they have Jungle Fungus Clear or Jungle Fungus Eliminator or Melafix. If it is fin rot, those meds should help but I wouldn't start meds until you get him into some good water.

Neenjar posted a great link for giving salt baths. Just don't overdo the salt and make sure it's fully dissolved before you put your fish in.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
erradic behaviour, finrot, sick