Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #1 
Seki

Are my breeding goals unrealistic?

After acquiring my two longfinned females several weeks ago, I can't get over how gorgeous their fins are. I've decided my breeding goal will be to breed long-finned veiltails, both male and female, and to go for marbles. I have a market for these fish here, and a LFS has already told me they'd be very interested in purchasing some of the fry from me if they turned out pretty.

But here's my dilemma... I can't find a nice male on aquabid. I just looked in VT's again and there are five listed. FIVE. And one is a VT x PK cross, which would not fit my program. How am I going to find a nice male to breed and get my lines started? Does ANYONE breed VTs? I want to find the longest finned male I can with good form and cross him with my longfinned marble female, then breed the best male of the spawn back to mom and go from there. But I can't find any nice males...

Do you guys think this is a bad plan? I'm not quite ready to breed yet, although once the renovations on the house are done, I have a 20g I can set up as the spawn tank/growout. I have BBS eggs and am almost done setting up my hatchery. I'm looking into jarring options, but it's looking like 1 gallon mason jars are going to be what I go with since I have a lot of them readily available. I'm probably going to buy some heat tape to heat the jars (though hopefully most of the fish will be purchased by the LFS). Still... I probably won't be breeding for at least another six months. And that's if I can find the right male!

Opinions? Should I scrap the whole idea because no one wants VTs?
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I think it is Aquastar that sometimes sells marble VTs on Aquabid. You could always try contacting him to see if he has any stock available that would fit your plans.

TheBettaShop is another seller I have seen with some nice stock, but I don't know if they deal with VTs.

Otherwise, honestly if you want to work on VTs you can always just use a nice male from pet/fish store lines. It may require more work, but there are some nice fish out there that shouldn't be discounted from breeding just because they came from a wholesaler rather than AB.

I have seen quite a few very nice VT males at one of my LFS that I would not hesitate to use in the spawning tank.

On here there is a lot of stigma against using pet store fish, but if you have a goal and you have a viable market in mind there is no reason you can't be successful.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #3 
Seki

I will have to check with those two to see if they have any males that might fit my proposed program. Thanks for the tip!

I will always keep my LFS in mind, but I haven't seen any really stunning VT boys there in a while, and I've never seen a marble male, only marble females for some reason. I will be honest, though, my longfinned girls are petstore fish. I have no problem using them because I think they're gorgeous, and they clearly have the genetics I want to breed into future generations. Plus... the LFS buys from breeders, obviously haha. Otherwise they would have no interest in my future fry, right?

I'll keep my eye out for the right boy. For the moment I have my hands full taking care of a sick fish, but once everything gets sorted out and once renovations are completed and I can get the breeding/growout tank set up and cycled (I SHOULD cycle it, right?), I'm eager to try my hand at this. I'll be sure to see if anyone on here wants a longfinned female, too! They're lots of fun to watch in sororities! Sometimes people even think they're males haha.
Seki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #4 
Canis

The betta shop sells Halfmoons, Halfmoon Plakats, Giants, and wilds... never seen any veils there (I watch their youtube and visit the shop every once in a while).

EDIT: Nvm, thought you meant The Betta Shop in MN and not the seller on AB... I probably shouldn't be online at 1am XD

Last edited by Canis; 08-05-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Canis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #5 
Canis

Also, you don't need to cycle the tank due to the large amounts of water changes you'll be doing.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

No I meant the one in MN. That's the one that's on Youtube isn't it? I'm not American so not really sure.

I wasn't certain if they stocked VTs as they seem very similar to a betta importer here who does stock quite nice quality ones.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #7 
Canis

Oh, okay XD Yes, they're on youtube. They don't carry veiltails though ^^
Old 08-05-2013, 03:45 AM   #8 
Ilikebutterflies

Nothing wrong with vt. several breeders including Darth on here are breeding vt so you can find good stock. It's just going to take more effort to find them. I think marble vt would be nice. I like vt anyway.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote