Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #11 
NorthernLights

Where do you keep your fish tank? A small footprint will go on an end table, etc, pretty easily.

Walmart makes a 3 gallon cylinder tank that is less than a foot wide. There's also a two gallon version. Heck, in the fish section there is a 1 gallon tank (like a kritter keeper) that is only about $6.

1/2 gallon tanks are good for pictures and certain kinds of special needs fish.

So, where do you keep your fish tank? What kind of space do you have to work with?
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #12 
ReeseInPieces

I thought bettas don't like deep water..?
ReeseInPieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:24 AM   #13 
RussellTheShihTzu

You are correct. Tall tanks may have a small footprint but they are not practical for Bettas. There's little real swim room and the Betta has not only a long way to go for air but there's also insufficient surface area (IMO).

By estimate, 2.5 gallons are usually 12x6x8 high and five gallons 16x8x10 high. A five gallon will fit on an end table.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 08-04-2013 at 01:28 AM.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

I like my 12x12x12 inch cube tanks for bettas. I find they offer a reasonable amount of both horizontal/vertical space and a tank that size fits easily on my bedside table.

Just throwing that option out there.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #15 
NorthernLights

"Deep" water is relative. With the 3 gallon cylinder, by the time the gravel and undergravel filter plate is loaded in, the interior water height is about a foot. Most of the 5+ gallon tanks (which many people on this forum believe are great for bettas) are at least that tall. If you go that route, you do need to make sure you have objects to the fish to rest on at varying heights, including one near the surface. Mine has a betta leaf hammock near the top and near the middle, and plants that range from short to all the way to the surface.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote