Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #11 
gbose

Try a few different things. Bloodworms, flakes. And give it time; some bettas take a few days or a couple of weeks to settle in....

Good luck!
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #12 
NorthernLights

Well, the flakes arrived on Saturday, and Galahad ate...one. Then he ignored the rest. Interestingly, so did Odysseus (I gave some to him to see what would happen).

On Sunday evening, I gave Galahad some garlic-soaked Omega One pellets (since he had ignored the NLS more than the OO). He ignored them completely. I went to Petco yesterday to get a new silk plant for Odysseus, and I explained to the aquatics guy about how Galahad was not eating and asked what they have been feeding their fish, which is apparently some kind of Hikari pellet, but not the regular betta bio-gold.

What I do not understand is why Galahad does not even LOOK at the food. He just cruises on past it as though he doesn't see it. I know he isn't blind because he comes up to look at me when I am by his tank and will dart to the back if he sees me make any sudden movements. Also, unlike Odysseus, he does not do a "food dance".
NorthernLights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #13 
wondering1

Maybe he cannot smell as well as most bettas?
wondering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #14 
NorthernLights

Odysseus has always needed to see his food in order to find it. I didn't realise they could smell their food and find it that way.

I never expected a betta to be so uninterested in food...
Old 07-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #15 
wondering1

"Blue" frantically searches for sunken or floating NLS pellets even if I place it without notice...same as my pond goldfish. "Blue" will root around the marbles/glass beads until he finds the food, as needed.

Both the pond and the aquarium have pumps to circulate the smell.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/5/fish

Last edited by wondering1; 07-30-2013 at 05:50 AM.
wondering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #16 
NorthernLights

Well, Galahad is still being very picky, and I am worried that he is not eating enough. He'll eat a bit of the OO flakes. He will not eat NLS at all. OO pellets tends to be eat one, spit out, eat again, spit out, etc. Maybe two. It does not look like he actually consumes any of it. If I smush the pellet up in advance so it is in bits, he'll eat a couple of fragments, but still not very much. I would guess he's eating at *most* the equivalent of 1-2 pellets per day. By comparison, Odysseus easily eats 5 OO pellets or 6 NLS pellets 2x/day (10-12 total) and still looks for more.

I don't want him to starve! Is he eating enough?
Old 08-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Honestly, he won't starve. He will eat when he's hungry enough. As I had said before, the boy in my avatar didn't eat for a whole month and he's still going super strong 9 months later!

Just keep trying and one day he will eat it. Have you tried mosquito larvae?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #18 
DragonFish

It sounds like you're still just trying all kinds of things to get him to eat, which I can completely understand. Though I don't think I've ever had anyone quite that stubborn about food that wasn't sick, I've had some frustrating times with getting a few of my boys onto pellets.

However, a betta can go a month without food and not starve to death(its not exactly HEALTHY of course, but they can do it). Since he is eating a little bit, hes probably not starving all that much. He could be eating more, it would be best if he was eating more, but he certainly isn't going to starve to death I wouldn't think.

Have you tried my strict two week method? You can use either NLS or OO pellets, but i would really really highly suggest you give the method I previously described a shot.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote