Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #71 
resa

I had a male imported hm that got attacked by my vt who passed the divider some how ask I bought betta fix and the next day he died with fins looking as though they literally got burned
Attached Images

resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #72 
jaysee
Reference Team

Third double dose of Melafix added. No change in the betta.

Actually they're a bit more than double doses since the water level is not all the way up
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #73 
sassyfriend

So I guess some who use it have more luck than others?
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #74 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Resa's case may not have been linked to the bettafix though... And we will never know.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #75 
jaysee
Reference Team

Fifth double dose to be added this afternoon.

I have contacted API and asked them about their product with respect to these allegations. I will copy the reply when I get it.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #76 
jaysee
Reference Team

API's reply:

Thank you very much for contacting us regarding our products. All of your comments and questions are valuable. We use your feedback to create the most effective line of aquarium and pond products available. As you surmised, this is simply a story that somehow "got legs," with no real basis in fact. Melafix was, and is tested with labyrinth fish on a frequent basis, not only on the common species in the trade, but also less common varieties like chocolate gouramies and various wild bettas. I'll ignore the thousands of consumers who use it successfully with labyrinth fishes of all kinds every year. Actually, I won't completely: One of the most popular betta remedies out there, Bettafix, IS Melafix, merely in a more dilute form to make dosing simpler for smaller aquariums (though the final therapeutic concentration is the same as for Melafix). I suspect the story developed when one hobbyist jumped to a conclusion after losing fish following treatment with Melafix (the fish was likely too far gone, or, as often happens, the fish had some illness that Melafix will not treat, like ich), and posted his or her experience online. Someone else saw that post, and "confirmation bias" took its inexorable course. But we can assure you, and any other hobbyists out there, that Melafix is quite safe for any labyrinth fish, be they bettas, gouramies, climbing perches, bushfish, or anything else.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #77 
Stone

ok i did my 25% water change and am done dosing, all the fish acting normal,so in my opinion I agree with the api letter it's pure hogwash and people had a fish die and blamed bettafix vs not themselves for overdosing or using it to treat something it is not meant to treat, now what myth to tackle next
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #78 
sassyfriend

I don't believe their story at all!!!!! I am never using that stuff ever again!!!!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #79 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
ok i did my 25% water change and am done dosing, all the fish acting normal,so in my opinion I agree with the api letter it's pure hogwash and people had a fish die and blamed bettafix vs not themselves for overdosing or using it to treat something it is not meant to treat, now what myth to tackle next
My betta is perfectly fine after a 7 day treatment of double doses of Melafix.

I've asked API what the LD50 number is.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #80 
LittleBettaFish

Resa's betta could have easily died from internal injuries. I had a male who got attacked by some females and he passed away even though the external injuries while bad were not life threatening.

This Melafix/Bettafix drama reminds me of the various 'urban legends' you see floating around on forums and social media sites. You see it all the time with people reporting anecdotes as if they are proof rather than just one individual's experience.

It could just be some bettas respond more adversely to this product than others. It's why there are warning labels on medications about possible side effects. It doesn't mean everyone will get them, just a select few.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote