Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #1 
Lamb

Cannibal in the Sorority??

So I am now down 2 females in my sorority. The first was Ini (Gem's sister) and there was no trace of her AT ALL. I did a complete tear down, and sifted the sand. My only guess is she was eaten...

Now about a week after Ini, Danica my little yellow dragon has disappeared without a trace. I'm so sad...

Has anyone experienced this? And how do you put a stop to it? I don't want anymore of my girls dying!
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I think you should calm down first. lol :D
Animals eat animals, excluding herbivores and whatever.

Betta fish will eat dead fish, if given the chance. In my experience, my past sorority ate a dead guppy, their choice. @.@ I think the females that disappeared, died first and then your girls ate them.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #3 
Lamb

I don't see how they would have died. I check on them all of the time, and they're all super healthy. :( I think maybe one initiates a massacre of another one of them.

Now that I think of it though, they were only eaten when I didn't have a male in a QT cup floating in the tank. Could it be because they're hormonal and mad because they didn't 'get any'? <-Small chuckle at that one.

Still, they don't even really show aggression unless one of them invades the others 'territory'.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Are the females the only tank inhabitants? I've yet to experience my females actually kill each other. Its been a while since I've had an in tank death but the others didn't eat the dead although I do know it happens. How many females did you have in how big of a tank?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Also, didn't you just breed Gem? If so, the stress could have been too much for her and sometimes they just die, even when the breeding goes well. So that's a possibility and then the girls just did what they do best when it comes to eating. It's actually quite common for one or both of the parents to die after breeding and it's sad but it happens.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #6 
Lamb

I have a 20 gallon, originally with 9 and now there are 7. The only other fish in the tank are the guppies I have in there, one male and one female.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #7 
Lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Also, didn't you just breed Gem? If so, the stress could have been too much for her and sometimes they just die, even when the breeding goes well. So that's a possibility and then the girls just did what they do best when it comes to eating. It's actually quite common for one or both of the parents to die after breeding and it's sad but it happens.
Gem isn't the one who died, it was Ini her sister. That was a week or so ago so before she was even put into the spawning tank. She's in a netted breeder in the sorority right now so she doesn't have to fight with anyone.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

My guess is the same as Lebron's... That they died for whatever reason and were then eaten.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #9 
Lamb

Dang... I don't know why they would have just died? They were QTed and seemed fine. They weren't old, so that couldn't be it. I do water changes frequently and the water perimeters are as stable as they can be. The only things that changed were the boys who were in QT cups found new homes to clear up space for my breeding males. The little yellow was active and healthy from what I could tell and then the next morning she was missing. :( She was one of my favorites too...
Old 08-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #10 
xShainax

Is there any way they could've jumped out?
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote