Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I tend to like more plants generally but I believe the "enough plants" point is around 1/3 of the tank planted but I like to go with 1/2 of the tank planted to ensure that you won't get readings. It may be a bit stressful on your wallet but I believe that it's the easiest way and one of the safer way's to cycle your tank without you having to worry about it.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #12 
karenluvsbettas623

Can't wait to see pictures of your sorority! just wondering where you ordered your stand from and what kind is it, I also need a 20g long stand.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #13 
shannonpwns

http://www.petco.com/product/114368/...t=OnSiteSearch

That's the stand I got, the one that says its for 29 gallon, fits a 20 long also since they have the same footprint. It's not level on the top though, one corner has a 1/4 inch gap, but I put styrofoam under the tank, to be sure it levels itself out.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #14 
shannonpwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I tend to like more plants generally but I believe the "enough plants" point is around 1/3 of the tank planted but I like to go with 1/2 of the tank planted to ensure that you won't get readings. It may be a bit stressful on your wallet but I believe that it's the easiest way and one of the safer way's to cycle your tank without you having to worry about it.
I'm kinda nervous to even put live plants, just because I've never really done live before, and one of the plants in my 5 gal is turning brown on some leaves. I don't wanna waste a bunch of money on plants that I may just kill due to lack of experience. I don't really understand the whole fertilizing and root tab stuff. I'm a plant killer outside of aquariums too, no house plants for me haha.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol, I suck at keeping other plants alive but I find that aquarium plants are much easier to deal with. If you get easy plants like Anacharis, Java Fern, Anubis, Elodea, Rotala, Ludwigia, Vallisneria and some others like that you have a better chance of keeping them alive. Some may "melt" when you first put in because they're just getting used to water chemistry but they'll come back after a few weeks when they're acclimated to your chemistry. And sometimes they won't melt at all which is nice

But either way, you can add in 2-3 females and that won't be too bad on your bio-load, just keep an eye on things and build up the sorority from there. That would probably be the better way to do it if you don't want live plants.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #16 
shannonpwns

I think ill get a ton of live plants if my LFS has enough, hopefully, and just add all the girls in once their quarantine is over. I may keep my koi girl out though, because I don't want anything to happen to her ever. But, she is a feisty little brat, so I'm sure if anything she'd be the one beating up lol.

Ill still use the TSS also, when I put them in. I'm so nervous, I've never done a real FW aquarium before...and I've never kept aggressive fish either...my seahorses were about as peaceful as they come haha.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #17 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Honestly, if you can possibly avoid it do not do a fish in cycle on a sorority. Fish in a new sorority are under enough stress already... No need to add high levels of ammonia to the mix.

Live plants are great. Read through the stickies and threads in the plants section and make sure you have proper lighting and things should be fine.

2-3 girls is not enough for a sorority and is really quite risky.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
2-3 girls is not enough for a sorority and is really quite risky.
I was saying 2-3 in addition to the one that she already's has but I know it's still risky hence I suggested all the plants.

There are plenty of low light, easy plants that you can get shannon so that would be the best way to go and you can mix live/silk to help them have more hiding places and such.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #19 
shannonpwns

Well I can always just cycle with TSS and pure ammonia. I have both anyways. I'm not really an advocate of fish in cycling. I just want this done as quick as possible, to get my 8 girls out of their small temporary tanks.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #20 
shannonpwns

Okay I got $50 worth of plants....gonna rinse them and check for snails. I did see a few snails when they pulled them out, not sure if she took them off or not. If I find snails, would it be beneficial to keep them?