Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #1 
mypippa1

Exclamation Suggestions for new betta tank

Hello I was just wondering if anybody has any advice about a few points for my betta tank.I've kept bettas in community tanks before and the male has died. I still have the females but each time I kept a male in community tanks with gouramis, cory cats and just other community fish they have died. So I have decided to try a little betta in his own tank and I was just looking for advice. I was thinking I would get a under gravel heater whatever but I'm not sure what size tank to get. I want to just start with one male betta and then maybe add a couple of snails and possibly some type of cory cat. What size tank do you think I should get? And does anyone have any suggestions for breed of cory cat? Any advice appreciated sorry I went on for a bit. Thanks
P.S. If it would be ok for him I have seen really nice bowls which are I think seven gallons but I have heard horror srories about bettas dying in bowls and everything and I want him to be happy
mypippa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #2 
mypippa1

Smile

Sorry just to add at some stage I might like to introduce a female to the tank.Thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 12:35 AM   #3 
Micho

Bettas and Gouramis don't go together, and females and males shouldn't be put together unless people are trying to breed them.

Females can live with other females, a lot of people have "sororities" where females live together peacefully after they have established the pecking order.

Just a question, how big is that tank you have? With the gouramis, cories and females betta(s)? Must be a pretty big tank with all those fish in there.

If you want just a male and some cories, a 10 gallon is the place to start. A 7 gallon bowl would not be ideal for cories since they are bottom dwelling fish they like tanks that a big footprint so they can swim around and scavenge for food. Pygmy cories would be a good species for a 10 gallon, maybe 8 or so. If you want some bigger species of cories like Bronze Cories a 20g long would be better.

A 7 gallon bowl would be a good home for just one Betta and maybe some snails or shrimps. :)
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:34 AM   #4 
JayM

This is Batman, in his 5 1/2 gallon tank. We have just added a baby albino BN & a small snail to clean it a bit but no other fish will be added to it & we will remove the albino when he gets too big.

We had a couple of gourami's with our Betta. They got along fine. We have tetras (neons, lemons & rosy) in our bigger tanks with our other Bettas. You'll need a bigger tank if you want to have a community one.
Hope that helps.
JayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #5 
mypippa1

Thanks for both your replies. I already have a 180litre community tank which at the moment has platies, mollies, an opaline gourami, hoplo catfish, bristlenose pleco and baby clown loachrs. What would your opinion be on a flat bottom bowl if I could get a 10-15gallon one?thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #6 
JayM

I read somewhere that they don't like round bowls? Not sure if it was this site or another.
We've never had round, only rectangle.
JayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #7 
mypippa1

Ok thanks. Going to go looking for a small rectangular tank tomorrow

Tags
betta 10gallon, bowl