Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #1 
Ilikebutterflies

white opaque marble cross

white opaque marble(steel blue and green if you can believe it) x steel blue=?

I have a lovely half giant white opaque marble girl that I have in with my giant steel blue boy. Her white is paper white. No iridescense over the white at all. Her marbled colors are steel blue, green and red. She is piebald I might add. He is steel blue with a fair bit of red wash. The goal is to #1 breed more size into the red/white/blue plakat line of mine and #2 develop the white and red a bit more.

From what I understand, opaque is from steel blue. I'm not sure how the female can be both opaque and steel blue but she is.

The goal with this particular spawn...if it happens...is to breed the best male back to mom.

What will the fry look like? I am guessing a certain percentage of marbles and irids with red wash. What are the chances any of the fry will be opaque marble like the female?
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #2 
Darth

If that was the case she would be a pastel.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

White opaque (steel blue back ground) is recessive. So when paired to a steel blue, theoretically you should get no white opaque. Instead you should have cellophane, grizzle, pastel, and steel blue. And since there is marble in the equation, anyone of them may be marble. . . . reality can be very different to the theory.

If you breed back to mom, you should have some opaque. But you will lose the "giant" trait which is also recessive. I suggest you do 2 or 3 pairing - son to mom (color), daughter to dad (size), and siblings. Look for the most "white" ones for further breeding. Then cross them to each other for both size and color.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote