Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #11 
Nothingness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Like MattsBettas said, you can go up to 20 in a 20 gallon provided you have adequate cover and your filter is able to handle the bioload of those females.

Many people are conservative with how they stock their sororities, but the more females you have the more the aggression is dispersed rather than focussed on individual fish. It's the same theory I find many cichlid keepers work on.

However, in a sorority the importance of quarantine cannot be stressed enough. Even if all your females come from the same source I advise a minimum quarantine period of two weeks. Sororities (even the best of them) are a stressful environment and if you put a female that hasn't been quarantined into your sorority you are taking a huge risk. Many times, if you look at cases where sororities have fallen apart due to disease it is because of improper quarantine procedure.

Yup I agree with this...I had the "it'll never happen to me" approach and added in a new female to the mix and it wiped out 10 of my 25 girls in 2 weeks. Never making that mistake again
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

I used to never quarantine until I wiped out over a couple hundred dollars worth of fish that I haven't been able to replace. Now I quarantine everything that comes in.

Even healthy looking fish from breeders can possibly introduce harmful pathogens into your tank.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #13 
TGIF

I do know about the horrid things that could happen if you don't quarantine. Such bad stuff. 0.0
Thanks for all your input! :D I will be looking at 20 gallon longs, since my dresser/desk isn't too wide. The 10 gallon fits fine, but a 20 gallon may be a bit too much on it.
I think 15 would be good for me, but I wouldn't be able to get them all at the same time since lack of QT space. Would maybe 3 at a time each time I add new girls suffice? That's normally the number of girls I like at my fish stores :)
TGIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

You should start off with at least five females. You will most likely see more fighting if you only get three at a time.

However, once you have the initial group then you could definitely add more females as you go along.

A 20 gallon long if you can fit it would be ideal for a sorority as it offers a lot more horizontal swimming space than something like a 20 gallon high.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #15 
TGIF

I already have 6 in a 10 gallon :)
What I also thought. I'll just need to find one down here XD
Old 08-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

Oh okay then yes, you can just add three females at a time until you get up to your desired number.

I had a lot of females at one point and it was only a couple that were unable to integrate successfully into a sorority environment.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #17 
TGIF

I'd also have space for the girls incase they couldn't go in a sorority. Thankfully, I haven't had that problem yet...
Going to check out prices next time i'm out :)
Old 08-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

Good luck with your sorority plans. If I kept splendens still I would definitely have one as they are so fun to watch and work with.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #19 
TGIF

Thanks! :D
I love it when they go for their mosquito larvae treat now and then.