Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #1 
Emparios

Changing the filter cartridge

Hello again, everyone ^-^ I was cleaning my bettas tank the other day and noticed that the cartridge in his filter was rather dirty. It got me wondering: how often should I replace it? My betta lives by himself in a 5.5 gallon tank with the filter that came with it (says topfin 10 on the cover.)

And, when I do replace it, are there any precautions I should use? Like, move him to another tank for a day while the new filter cartridge gets broken in?

Thank you ^-^
Emparios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

What you can do is just swish the cartridge in old tank water you just took out from a water change. Swish and rub around in the water and put back in. This gives your cartridge more life. Companies say to replace once a month but honestly that's really just a ploy to get more money. My cartridges have lasted near 6 months now and I'm only debating changing them out for better filter media.

However you must remember that most of your colony of Beneficial Bacteria (BB) is living in your filter cartridge/media. Soooo in order to get your BB over to your new media, it's advised to try to stuff both the new and old cartridges in the filter. If they don't fit, then you can basically tear the old cartridge apart (careful there is carbon inside most and it's just a pain to pick up if it goes everywhere) and you can basically just put it on the new media but make sure to put it on the backside so that the water flows from old media to new media and then to carbon floss if you have it. This way your BB can safely move to your new media and you don't have to worry about cycling your tank again or anything.

And then after a week or two you can take out the old scraps and the new cartridge is good to go for a while! But just swish it out at each tank cleaning and it will stay fairly clean
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #3 
Emparios

Thank you ^-^ I'll keep that in mind! And I hate when companies tell you stuff like that- it's almost as bad as the people who say two bettas can live in a 1/2 gallon divided tank.

And that's great info about the BB. When I replace the filter in a couple months (already had it for 4-5) I'll be sure to remember this. Thank you again :)
Old 08-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Great! Glad I could help ^_^ yeah, if you don't swish the cartridge then sure, you could change it each month lol but why buy something when it will last a little bit longer if you take care of it? ^_^ so that's all fine and dandy!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #5 
TiffanyP

Kind of going along with her question - when a new filter cartridge is put in, do we need to keep the fish out for a day to let it run? Or is it safe to put in and leave the fish in the tank too? Thanks for your help :)
TiffanyP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

I had that filter, I took out the cartridge that came with it & replaced with sponge material. SOOOOO much better, easier to clean & lasts much longer.

@tiffany - no you don't need to take the fish out. I would however test the water for a few days to make sure you don't have a mini cycle.

EDIT: When I have put in new filter media I always rinse it in USED tank water rather than tap water.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #7 
Emparios

Can you get sponge material at the pet store (Petco/smart)?

And thank you everyone for your tips, I appreciate anything that helps ^-^
Old 08-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emparios View Post
Can you get sponge material at the pet store (Petco/smart)?

And thank you everyone for your tips, I appreciate anything that helps ^-^
Yes, this is what I had & then cut it to fit . . .
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

It may have a different brand name & packaging now; I think it says Fluval these days at the stores.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #9 
Emparios

Thank you, I'll keep an eye out next time I'm in petsmart ^-^
Old 08-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #10 
TiffanyP

Awesome thanks! And thank you emparios for letting me invade your post :D
TiffanyP is online now   Reply With Quote