Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #1 
Mecal

Reducing filter current

Hey all,
so I looked it up and did the soda bottle idea - but that didn't seem to work too well (as far as reducing the current).
so I made some slices in the curvature to help diffuse the current, and that seems to be working fairly well (this way, the water gets diffused out to the sides, and still goes forward too).

However, I can still see that the fish is flapping his little fins pretty fast.

Anything else I can do? Or maybe I didn't do the bottle thing completely correctly.

thanks
Mecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #2 
chrisb1221

How wide are the slices in the baffle? try making them a tad wider.
chrisb1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #3 
Kim

Try putting some nylon over the intake tube and adding a bit more filter media in the chamber. Both of these will slow down the output of your filter, and coupled with the baffle it should work pretty well.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #4 
Mecal

Thanks.
What do you suggest I put in the filter?

I actually used a different soda bottle piece this time (this one longer) and it seems to work - but its still pretty intense (although not as bad as it was).
Old 11-11-2009, 06:45 PM   #5 
BakaMandy

Well in general, current isn't really all that bad AS LONG as they can reach the surface of the water with no problem. Current is only really an issue if they can't reach the surface for air or food. Betta fish will actually DROWN if they can't reach the surface.

I have a filter in my 10 gallon and used the soda bottle to reduce the flow, and Orenji has no problem swimming around, and he doesn't hate the current going off to the side, in fact he likes to ride it :P He'll swim right under the filter then go up into the flow and darting across the tank xD I noticed he likes to do that whenever I do a water change, cause the water levels are higher so it's easier for him to ride the current. My females don't mind it at all either.

BTW, their fins will ALWAYS be going like nuts because it helps the water pass over their gills. It's not just for moving around.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #6 
Seanyb9985

I dont know what size tank you have but for only 10 bucks you can get a small out of water filter, and it looks alot better than a soda bottle in your fishtank.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...21&pcatid=9821
Seanyb9985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #7 
Mecal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaMandy View Post
Well in general, current isn't really all that bad AS LONG as they can reach the surface of the water with no problem.

BTW, their fins will ALWAYS be going like nuts because it helps the water pass over their gills. It's not just for moving around.
ohh ok, thanks :)

he can get to the surface just fine.

and that's good to know about the fins :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanyb9985 View Post
I dont know what size tank you have but for only 10 bucks you can get a small out of water filter, and it looks alot better than a soda bottle in your fishtank.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...21&pcatid=9821
it's 5.5 gallons.
The filter I got said it was good for a 5-10 gallon set up.

thanks all :)
Old 11-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #8 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecal View Post
Thanks.
What do you suggest I put in the filter?

I actually used a different soda bottle piece this time (this one longer) and it seems to work - but its still pretty intense (although not as bad as it was).
I use hang on back filters that have the square filter pads that fit over a frame, so I just stick two on there instead of one.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #9 
Ender

The filter that came with my 5 gallon tank was WAY too powerful even with a baffle. So, I was looking around for a different filter and came across this: Red Sea Deco Art Nano Filter http://www.petco.com/product/12148/R...t=OnSiteSearch It works great in the 5 gallon and the current doesn't bother my sensitive Betta. You can also adjust the flow if needed.
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote