Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #1 
markam87

never had fishes before. now i've got betta & questions

Hello guys! I've had a betta fish for one day now. My daughter has named him Nemo (what can I say, she's 4).
I've never had fishes before so I have a couple of questions. First let me say that Nemo is in a one gallon bowl, with no lights or filter. Someone will give me a 5 gallon tank at the end of august, then I'll get whatever else I need. I also have the liquid to add to the tap water for the bowl (can't remember how it's called) and bought pellets for bettas. My questions:

1.how do I know if he's overeating? I only feed him twice a day, but whenever I come close to the bowl he comes towards me, then goes up as if he was trying to catch something.

2.can he be in the dark? this might be a silly question, but he was in complete darkness last night while we slept and when I got up he was just kind of floating in the bottom of the bowl, not moving much. After 10 minutes with the lights on he started swiming more.

3. so far I've seen him pooped twice. that's not a question, but I don't know what's normal and not, and I keep reading about parasites, and swiming bladder (?) so I'm thinking about this a lot.

4. something cool, not a question. I placed a little mirror in front of him and he went nuts! His fins opened so much compared to the way they usually look, and something opened from the sides of his head. Is that what's called flare? Anyways, it was nice seeing him so active. I'm trying to think of ways to keep him busy, but then I remind myself he's a fish.

I'm going to post a couple of pictures, feel free to let me know if you see anything wrong with the set up, or the betta. Thank you so much!!!
Attached Images

markam87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #2 
markam87

I forgot, one more thing. I placed him in the bowl with clean water on monday at 3 pm. Now it's tuesday 10:26 pm, and the water is already a bit cloudy. Do I have to wait 1 week to change it, or can I do it earlier? There's pellets that he didn't eat on the gravel, so I guess I'll have to wash those too? Thank you!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #3 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by markam87 View Post
Hello guys! I've had a betta fish for one day now. My daughter has named him Nemo (what can I say, she's 4).
I've never had fishes before so I have a couple of questions. First let me say that Nemo is in a one gallon bowl, with no lights or filter. Someone will give me a 5 gallon tank at the end of august, then I'll get whatever else I need. I also have the liquid to add to the tap water for the bowl (can't remember how it's called) and bought pellets for bettas. My questions:

1.how do I know if he's overeating? I only feed him twice a day, but whenever I come close to the bowl he comes towards me, then goes up as if he was trying to catch something.
What brand of pellet did you buy? The most recommended on here are New Life Spectrum & Omega One. They're good quality & they don't swell much in their stomachs. If I were feeding twice a day I'd feed 3-4 pellets each time depending on the pellet.
2.can he be in the dark? this might be a silly question, but he was in complete darkness last night while we slept and when I got up he was just kind of floating in the bottom of the bowl, not moving much. After 10 minutes with the lights on he started swiming more.
Yes they need a day/night cycle so when you first turned the light on this morning he was probably sleeping.
3. so far I've seen him pooped twice. that's not a question, but I don't know what's normal and not, and I keep reading about parasites, and swiming bladder (?) so I'm thinking about this a lot.
Sounds like he's pooping normal. What goes in must come out. it should be the color of the food he's eating & some describe it as a ball but IME its not always a ball form.
4. something cool, not a question. I placed a little mirror in front of him and he went nuts! His fins opened so much compared to the way they usually look, and something opened from the sides of his head. Is that what's called flare? Anyways, it was nice seeing him so active. I'm trying to think of ways to keep him busy, but then I remind myself he's a fish.

I'm going to post a couple of pictures, feel free to let me know if you see anything wrong with the set up, or the betta. Thank you so much!!!
Welcome. See my responses in red. I would add a cave for him to hide in & some more silk plants. That'll give him places to hide, rest & explore. You'll want to get a heater, they're tropical fish & prefer water 78-80F. You'll want to do water changes 3 times a week while he's in the 1g to keep ammonia under control. I would do 2 50% & a 100% water change with temp matched, conditioned water. They are quite interactive & will act as if starving every time they see you looking so don't fall for it. LOL.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #4 
shellieca

Quote:
I forgot, one more thing. I placed him in the bowl with clean water on monday at 3 pm. Now it's tuesday 10:26 pm, and the water is already a bit cloudy. Do I have to wait 1 week to change it, or can I do it earlier? There's pellets that he didn't eat on the gravel, so I guess I'll have to wash those too? Thank you!
Oh you'll want to do a water change to get those pellets out. They will cause ammonia which you don't want. Some people use a turkey baster to suck up food that's fallen if its not water change day. When feeding drop one pellet, wait until he's eaten it, then drop another, wait until he eats, then drop another until he's eaten 3-4 since you're feeding twice a day. This will result in much less wasted food & you'll know exactly how much he's eating.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #5 
markam87

Thank you so much for the info! Yes, the stools look the same color as the food and are also shaped like a ball. And the brand of the pellets is Aqueon, I got it at petsmart. I'll try to find the ones you mention.
When I do the 50% water change, do I add that liquid to the new water going into the bowl? Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #6 
darkangel

Quote:
Thank you so much for the info! Yes, the stools look the same color as the food and are also shaped like a ball. And the brand of the pellets is Aqueon, I got it at petsmart. I'll try to find the ones you mention.
When I do the 50% water change, do I add that liquid to the new water going into the bowl? Thanks again!
I would consider feeding him a little less in unheated tank, digestion is a lot slower in colder water and can lead to bloating. his stomach is the size of his eye, feed him maybe just 3 pellets a day until you have him a bigger tank? once you have the 5 gallon, definitely try to get an adjustable heater. Hagen elite 25w is great for a 5 gallon, try to keep his temp around 78f-80f, than you can feed him 6-8 pellets.

in a 1 gallon, you need to do 100% water changes every 3 days. partials aren't good as they still leave ammonia in the water. if i were you, I get rid of the gravel until you have a bigger tank, you can just empty the tank every 3 days. Add dechlorinator (the liquid) every time you change the water :)
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #7 
TiffanyP

Yes -whenever you add new water to the bowl always be sure it's conditioned :) Be sure to not over-condition it either as I've read that can cause problems in some bettas. He's a pretty little guy :)

And I concur with the 3-4 pellets at a time :) That way you can monitor exactly how much he eats and can be sure he's not over eating.
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #8 
sainthogan

Always add the conditioner to the water before you put it in with him, otherwise, the chlorine in the water, even for a short time, can harm him.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #9 
markam87

Thank you! I'm so happy to have found this site :)
Old 08-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #10 
TiffanyP

You're very welcome :) we were all once in your shoes - I think most of us on here are just doing our best to help others out!
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote