Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2009, 04:52 AM   #1 
sandystar

Exclamation DIY 1st time! epic long story...

Haha, I see I wasn't the only one who went into petco and left with a 10 gallon tank today!

Warning this is an extremely long post about my new fish tank and betta.

So I am currently uber proud of myself because i did a DIY tank lid and divider, because yes I got another betta to join my little guy Kristoph.
I already had a mini filter and heater so I figured why buy an expensive set up when I already have the stuff!

My dad found the 10 gal tank for $14 something (us) but it didn't have a hood. So we used this thin plastic material that is durable yet flexible and I using scissors cut a the plastic to size and then a small hole for the cords. and then to prevent slivers or scrapes I filed it to a smooth edge. My dad did the tricky cut in the middle and we currently have plastic mesh over it but I am going to figure out how to make the mesh more of a door instead of it laying loose on top.

Like I said I bought another betta, his name is Jasper and his this silver body, blue/ purple CT. I went to a different petco and wow, they were huge! And No dead bettas! There was one pure white little iridescence male DT , but his fins had no color and more then half was missing! Other then that one, they all looked healthy, and their water clear. I was impressed!

So I needed a divider! We used plastic wire covering with self adhesive and used more plastic mesh in a 'S' pattern to split the tank apart. The edges of the plastic fit into the groves where the wire is suppose to go. Its white plastic so they dont see each other as easily. But I figure once they get more acclimated I'll switch to clear. I'm using the black petco gravel with clear, light blue, dark blue, metallic black, light green and teal glass pebbles which looks pretty sweet. You don't see the colors of the glass that well but the shape contrast is amazing. I then purchased two multie packs of petco plastic plants and three more silk betta plants. (Kristoph already has one) The plastic plants are green and they have this awesome color flowers. Any whom I planted these plants around each side (equally) and along the divider I planted the bigger (mid ground) plants.

All in all I'm super excited! Not only did I get an amazing tank and betta, I got it for $91 (us)! I even purchased four gallons of freshwater fish water! That is way cheaper then when I got kristoph. This other petco was amazing! I even set up everything ( managing to soak myself and my carpet in water and some got in the tank too) in like three and a half hours.

Pictures will be up tomorrow, I currently have a friend sleeping with my fishies! Ha ha lame joke I know, but seriously, photos from my phone tomorrow, no lie! I'm sooooo excited to show you all. Because I got the ideas, and knowledge from this site!

Jessica
sandystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:05 AM   #2 
sandystar

Oh! And what makes this story so epic is because during all this I moved Kristoph into is water changing cup, and somewhere between moving his tank and moving my leg lamp + Geo rock to make room for the new tank, kristoph jumped. My little guy was laying on my desk not moving! I screamed, and my dad ran in and saved the day, and my little guy is a- O.K.
Slimy things make me vomit. lol
Old 11-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #3 
ChristinaRoss

well your off to a great start with your first two bettas! great job! i cant wait to see pics!

its all so exciting creating a new tank and "look" for it.

im thoroughly addicted. in case you couldnt tell, lol
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #4 
sandystar

Thanks! And hey, there could be worse things to be addicted to!
Old 11-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #5 
iheartmyfishies

Lol I hear you there. It sounds awesome!!! Can't wait to see piccies.
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #6 
sandystar

Pictures :D
The front of my tank. I need to do something with my curtain now!

Looking down at my tank.

Kristoph's side

Jasper's side

Kristoph loves his new plants, especially this flower!
Jasper however likes to hide in this green plant. I caught him before he hid!
Old 11-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #7 
sandystar

I am a little concerned with the water filter. Its an Elite mini and it was on Jasper's side but it blew the little guy all over so I switched it to Kristoph's side and his okay with it, except when he goes to lay in his green plant or by the flower's leafs. Then it kind of pushes him and he has a hard time going up or down.

I have the output divider at a 45 degree angle facing the tank divider.
Any suggestions on how I could minimize the flow? His okay with it, but I don't like it. I want him to enjoy his new space and plants.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:44 PM   #8 
sandystar

And Problem solved. I tinkered around and pissed kristoph off, but its fixed. Hopefully some sleep will make him happier again.
And me stopping my tweaking of his habitat.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

He'll get over it. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #10 
sandystar

Lol!
Yea he will. I'm just a spazz.