Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #11 
VegasShimmer

I started a sorority over a month ago and it's doing great! Of course, having them establish the pecking order the first few days gave me anxiety, but all is calm now. I just added a 9th girl. She was smaller than the others, so after QT, I floated her for about 6 hours. By the time I released, the others could care less. My tank is heavily planted, so there are plenty of hiding places and the water conditions are excellent. I do a 30-40% WC twice a week and test weekly. I plan to upgrade them to a 20g long in a month or so. I love them so much, and they are so fun to watch! :)
VegasShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #12 
Deanna01

What I've noticed about sororities is that the bigger of one you start with, the less likely you are to upgrade it! They've very addicting. You should let your husband know that of course it would be better to have one big sorority rather than three small ones....
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #13 
kjnewcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna01 View Post
What I've noticed about sororities is that the bigger of one you start with, the less likely you are to upgrade it! They've very addicting. You should let your husband know that of course it would be better to have one big sorority rather than three small ones....
lol! I told him that if I had one I would want another so I should just start out with a big one. He isn't going for it. My tanks are already all over the house so I can't really blame him. I have 8 up and running so far plus the 40 breeder we have for our breaded dragon. Of course I could always play the "you got a new boat" card and make him feel guilty. lol
kjnewcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #14 
Deanna01

Well, I have seven plus a spawn tank full of babies. But if I didn't have my 75-gallon sorority, I'd have even more tanks!

Truthfully, the bigger a tank you have, with the more girls in it, the less likely aggression is to be a problem. I haven't had any issues at all in mine, with 28 girls in it. I just added four more, but I don't think I'll have problems. I have lots of plants for them to hide in.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #15 
kjnewcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna01 View Post
Well, I have seven plus a spawn tank full of babies. But if I didn't have my 75-gallon sorority, I'd have even more tanks!

Truthfully, the bigger a tank you have, with the more girls in it, the less likely aggression is to be a problem. I haven't had any issues at all in mine, with 28 girls in it. I just added four more, but I don't think I'll have problems. I have lots of plants for them to hide in.
Wow! I'd love a tank that size. I just have no idea where I would put it.
kjnewcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #16 
bettaHI

I have a 10 gallon that I have up and running with 5 female bettas and 2 female guppies. I did not have any problems with my females chasing or fin nipping at each other or at the guppies. The tank is NOT heavily planted but there are some silk plants in there. I guess my success is possible because 3 of the betta females were bought from petco as tiny babies and were raised together and eventually lived together for quite some time. The two bigger females are sisters and are not aggressive at all(maybe because they are smaragdina hybrids..idk). So yup..thats my sorority .

My only advice is to allow the females to see each other for a few days maybe even a week just so they can get used to each other. After that, release them all in the tank all at the same time and hope everything goes well. Make sure you keep an eye on them for a few minutes(or hours). Do not panic when they start to chase each other or nip at each other because thats normal for many new sororities. If any female gets SUPER beat up(like its about to go belly up) immediately remove her and place her in a hospital tank. Don't worry about the size or tail differences. I have 2 CT, 1 VT and 2 PK hybrids in mines.

Goodluck ! :)

Last edited by bettaHI; 08-05-2013 at 02:48 PM.
bettaHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #17 
OrangeAugust

I have a 55 gallon community tank with 7 female bettas. The females have been in for about 2 months. I floated them all in their cups at the same time for a couple of hours, watched them flare at each other (hehe so cute when females flare), and then I let them out all at the same time. Actually, at that point I only had 6 and then I was in Petsmart a few days later and I saw an orange/pinkish cambodian girl and just had to get her.
I have 3 crowntails, 3 veiltails, and one roundtail. I thought the biggest one was going to be the alpha, but right away it was obvious that the red one (second largest) was the alpha. Right now it's harder to tell- it almost looks as if there is no alpha, but I think she still is. I have one crowntail who is obviously the bottom in the pecking order. She is the smallest and she stays by herself near the bottom a lot. The rest of them are usually spread out around the tank until I get home and they expect food. Then they all congregate in the area where I usually feed them. Haha.
Once in a while I see a torn fin, but I never see any chasing and I never have actually seen nipping. My smallest girl got a chunk nipped out of her tail, but that was a few days ago and the only time that's ever happened.
I think the large size of my tank helps, too. They're not in close quarters so there's less fighting for territory.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote