Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #611 
Skyewillow

Perler beads and hot glue, and once it cools down, it doesn't smell. It's one of the few things that I've had no issues with.

Also, I checked about 5 aquarium forums where people have used it before I was willing to risk it. The Gruffalo had enough issues with bad decor.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #612 
FishyFishy89

Considering I still have the fish I made over 12 years ago, and it still smells odd. I, personally, wouldn't have used it in a tank. I remember now, it was a iron that you used to get it to stick together. I think there are other methods for a longer lasting hold over usage.

Here's the product: Perler®

I actually haven't seen anyone else make these in years. I remember making them with my cousin and few friends when we were little. Good times :)
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #613 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Considering I still have the fish I made over 12 years ago, and it still smells odd. I, personally, wouldn't have used it in a tank. I remember now, it was a iron that you used to get it to stick together. I think there are other methods for a longer lasting hold over usage.

Here's the product: Perler®

I actually haven't seen anyone else make these in years. I remember making them with my cousin and few friends when we were little. Good times :)
they've probably changed it around since then, it's advertised as aquarium safe (which is where I got the idea) and like I said, I checked it out on numerous forums before I was willing to risk it. There have been no problems, and the half a dozen things sitting on my desk right now don't have any smell to them, not even during heating.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=46919

Last edited by Skyewillow; 08-08-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #614 
FishyFishy89

I did not know it was advertised as aquarium safe. But like wise, there are "aquarium safe" products that have failed us. My point is to have caution with everything for our tanks.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #615 
Sena Hansler

It's true. some "safe" things are absolutely terrible.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #616 
FishyFishy89

I mean nothing against your judgment, Skye. Just giving my thoughts. I hope I didn't upset or offend you.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #617 
Skyewillow

I double checked how safe it actually is, and the beads are currently* being made of LDPE, a food-grade plastic. (as referenced here.) You can find plastic bins sold as "aquarium grade" on ebay that are made from the same material.

I'm not offended, just a little flustered because I did look into it before I used it, and it seemed like judgement was being passed without looking into the matter further to verify whether or not the formulas used have changed, even though I had mentioned twice that I had reference multiple aquarium sources to make sure.

Other members have bought decor from me, and I didn't want anyone thinking that I was selling them something toxic that would end up killing their fish. I also wouldn't use it in my tanks if it smelled, I lost one fish to bad decor, and the fish in this tank started biting when his ornament went bad. I wouldn't use it on my own fish if it were bad, and if I wouldn't use it personally, I would not be making and selling them to others. And I started making them to sell so others would have a safe alternative to those so-called ornaments like the one that killed my son's betta.

*not saying that they weren't smelly, or non-AQ friendly before.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #618 
FishyFishy89

It's not really worth getting upset about the whole thing. It's just another aquartist expressing concern based off their experiences. Sorry I upset you.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #619 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
It's not really worth getting upset about the whole thing. It's just another aquartist expressing concern based off their experiences. Sorry I upset you.
Right, which is why I wasn't offended. Like I said, just flustered because it didn't seem that anything I said about looking into it was taken into consideration.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:47 AM   #620 
ismintis

This was a very interesting thread to read. But I agree with the opinions of how the size shouldn't matter, but the care and upkeep. I have a 2.6 gallon that I keep in better care than my friend who has a 12 gallon.

Which brings me to a question: for the people with the mini-bow divided 2.5 gallon, does the divider work well? And I hear the filter is very strong, would it be wise for me to purchase a 2 gallon with a better filter for each fish instead? Even though that would cost me more than double the amount of money.
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote