Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #1 
plakitlover525

brand new betta

I need help with judging if i should breed my betta i got from petco and they looked very well cared for except for the small tanks
plakitlover525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #2 
txbettaowner

pictures would help.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #3 
plakitlover525

sorry i cant get pic i have a a blue boded with red then blue fins that is a HMPK male and a white or pinapple delta tail male . i also have two female bettas but i dont know the species one is tercose and the other is royal blue with hints of red on the fins
Old 08-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

You'll need to post pics of both preferably while they're flaring. There is more than just color that breeders look at in order determine who they breed.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #5 
txbettaowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
You'll need to post pics of both preferably while they're flaring. There is more than just color that breeders look at in order determine who they breed.
I agree with shellieca.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #6 
plakitlover525

what do i need to look forin a breedible male
Old 08-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #7 
txbettaowner

If you are a newbie you wouldn't see it as easily as an experienced breeder would. Pictures of both the male and female would help us show you better than sit here and type it all up.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #8 
Actress101
Banned

I am going to guess this fish isn't breeding quality even with out pics and I will telly you why however if you post a pic of a nice fish you should also take this into account.
1. He is a Petstore betta, meaning he has unknown genetic background so we don't know what his babies will look like.
2. You don't know the age of him one bettas reach a year old they should not be bred as they are not as active and such.
3. Most pet store fish are pet quality, are they have got pretty colours and what not but are not fit for breeding as their finnage is bad.
4. Some of the bettas you described have red on them. That is a major no as red wash is not a desirable trait and is very hard to breed out.
5. You don't know how to identify the females and even with descriptions on how the fish should look you need practice before you can accurately decide whether a fish is breeding quality.

Please answer the following questions too about breeding.
What are you working towards? Colours, tail types, attitudes, ect
How will you be selling these fish? You will end up with about 100 on average with culling and such but it depends on the female and such.
How much space do you have to breed?
How much of a budget do you have?
How much time can you put into these fish each day?

Honestly there are so many more but this is a big effort, something I didn't understand when I did my first spawn.
The fish you have I am thinking are definitely not breeding quality. Personally I would never breed a pet store fish even if it looks like you will get what you want out of it. 99% of the time you don't.
Try contacting a reputable breeder in your area for a high quality fish.
I wish the best of luck to you and message me if you have any questions :D
Actress101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #9 
plakitlover525

i will try to sell my betta to good owners who know what their doing but if it comes to it i will have to keep about 5 and cull the rest:(.
for color i dont know maybe royal blue or green. i would like a halmoon plakit or a halfmoon plakit double tail. with attitudes a more nonaggresive, and really i wont show petstore betta or there off spring so this is more for expirience. for breeding im planing on getting a 10 to 15 gallon tank do to lack of shelf space. for time i put into them i go out and get as many miscito larve as i can
Old 08-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #10 
Actress101
Banned

Listen I am all for breeding but I am thinking you shouldn't breed. I have a huge thing against people who cull all the fish in the spawn aside from a random 5 or so.
You are unprepared, don't have the time to care for all the fish, and are not willing to breed show quality fish that sell to people no breeding and breeders alike. There is a bigger market and it is much easier to find quality fish good homes as they sell in pairs and appeal to more people.
You need to do more research before breeding also.
Please rethink before before breeding.
I can answer any questions you have and will help you so long as you get your priorities straighter.
Actress101 is offline   Reply With Quote