Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #1 
sandystar

Question Tail biting?

So I'm pretty sure my little guy is biting his tail. I haven't seen him do it, but nothing else makes sense.

All day yesterday, Kristoph and I have been watching movies and just bumming around. I even snapped a few photos after his breakfast. Then I went to shower and was gone no more the a half hour and I came back to see that parts of his anal fin were missing!
He lives in a 1 gal. tank that is cleaned and 95% water change 2x weekly. His water temp is at 80 degrees F unless its cleaning day then its room temp for the bowl and his plastic cup till its 78 degrees F and then I let him out to swim around while the heater works. He has no white or yellow spots, or raised scales and his pretty active but doesn't brush along his pebbles or plant.
His fed at 8 am and 8 pm on a regular schedule, and he eats just fine!
The only thing I can think of is my sleeping schedule stressing him out. I don't normally turn out my lights till midnight and when I get up his already up. Could that be stressing him? Not getting enough sleep?
Yesterday I turned out the lights at 10 for him and I haven't noticed any more damage but I'm a little worried. I would post a picture but his too fast for my phone camera thing. ( His mad at me for no food) And my camera is currently dead bc my ex is holding some of my stuff and is currently out of the country.
sandystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #2 
kelly528

Yeah keeping lights down or even off will help heaps... In fact, my betta tailbites whenever the lights are on.

Also, never leave your betta's light on for longer than about 6 hours per day. With most fish, 8 is safe but bettas strongly prefer dark tanks.

You can try covering his tank with an upturned box (painted black on the inside with a safe paint like acrylic) or even a dark-colored bin at 'bedtime'.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #3 
sandystar

Thanks!
Lol I'm so sitting in the dark atm. his tank is in my room and my lights are off for him. :)
sandystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #4 
Merchantwu

How are things going?

Have the darker conditions helped?

My little guy is doing a number on his tail. I thought things were getting better then he started chomping away again today.
Merchantwu is offline   Reply With Quote