Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #1 
bettaowner101

Betta Fish With Bad Care Of Fin Rot

Hello, I have a 1 gallon tank and I used to clean the whole tank once a week and I used to do 100% water change once a week. My betta has 2 hiding spots in his tank, an airstone and gravel. My betta has fin rot and I added 1/2 tablespoon of aquarium salt and the next day I bought Maracyn 2. It is the powder and I just add it to the tank and it disolves. I have added the Maracyn 2 to the tank the day after I added 1/2 tablespoon of salt and I didn't do a water change since then. I supposed to dose him for 5 days and today was his 3rd and I see no improvement. I have no test strips and I plan on getting a new filtered 5 gallon tank next Sunday. I have no heater in my tank and I am planning on getting one with my new tank that I am going to buy. When I wake up, his temp is 75 and torwards the end of the day, it is 80 degreese. My betta is also VERY lethargic. What should I do to help him out? I cannot buy a heater at the moment and test strips. If it helps, He is a CrownTail.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think it will take longer than 3 days to see an improvement. The medicine is probably making him lethargic. Give it more time and hopefully, you'll begin to see an improvement in a few more days.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #3 
bettaowner101

Thanks. Btw, he was lethargic before I gave him some Maracyn. Did I give him too much salt?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #4 
kelly528

This has been explained to you multiple times on a different forum: you need a heater and a bigger tank ASAP. Maracyn 2 doesn't work by killing the bacteria... it simply 'supercharges' the fish's immune system. That's why it cures so many diseases.

Fish are not warm blooded and therefore if there is no heat, everything goes slower. This goes for the healing process as well.

You have been given all the advce that you need and I know some of the people on UB come across a little strongly, but they definitely do know what they are talking about.

If you think that this will go away be sprinkling a little powder in the tank, just wait a week.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #5 
bettaowner101

Thanks. Sorry if I have asked this on anyother forum. I just got a little frustrated with their answers.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #6 
kelly528

It's frustrating how much fish wind up costing and I have been snapped at a few times myself on there. As young adults and adults a lot of them have forgotten how resticted you are when you count on your parents (who think it's 'just a fish') for funds for an adequate setup. They overkilled, but other than their approach their advice is totally solid and worth taking. Frustrating but true... what good would a little penicillin do you if you were spending the winter outside in your tshirt and shorts?

Like I've said before, save your money, don't monkey around with different mediactions. Keep the water pristine and try to hang in until your birthday.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
It's frustrating how much fish wind up costing and I have been snapped at a few times myself on there.
That's why I don't go there anymore.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #8 
kelly528

Lol some of them may not be incredibly... socially gifted, but I must admit, they definitely know what they are talking about!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #9 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
It's frustrating how much fish wind up costing and I have been snapped at a few times myself on there. As young adults and adults a lot of them have forgotten how resticted you are when you count on your parents (who think it's 'just a fish') for funds for an adequate setup. They overkilled, but other than their approach their advice is totally solid and worth taking. Frustrating but true... what good would a little penicillin do you if you were spending the winter outside in your tshirt and shorts?

Like I've said before, save your money, don't monkey around with different mediactions. Keep the water pristine and try to hang in until your birthday.
Thanks. I turned his light off for today and his temp didn't change at all like it was when it was like 75 to 80 degreese. I will just keep on trying the Maracyn 2 and I'll see if that will take care of it. I have a feeling that I over dosed on Aquarium Salt. Someone told me to add 1/2 tablespoon of aquarium salt per gallon on UB. That could be why he is so unactive or because he is stressed because of his illness.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #10 
kelly528

Honestly, just lay off the maracyn 2. Like I have said before it won't work unless the betta is in otherwise good conditions. Like I've said, how well do you think penicillin would work on pneumonia if the you were spending winter outside in your t-shirt and shorts? All it is doing is stressing him out. Are you keeping the water nice and clean?
Closed Thread