Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #401 
fishgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
This disease is no longer the "mystery disease". It has already been identified earlier in the thread as a strain of mycobacteria (often referred to as "fish TB" though fish can't get TB, mycobacteria causes it). When people refer to "fish TB" they're generally talking about the bacteria that causes spinal deformities. This is a different strain.

To reply to an earlier comment you had made, mycobacteria will NOT die if it is left to sit out for a long period of time. Bleach will not kill it (Although I have heard that if you bleach a tank and let it sit out in sunlight, it will work). Medical grade disinfectants are used to kill it, meaning that you won't find anything in walmart strong enough. If you've ever heard of Barbicide, used by cosmetologists to disinfect combs and hair clips and stuff, some people use it to disinfect for mycobacteria. Mycobacteria has a thick, waxy protective coating that makes it incredibly hard to kill.
I just had a blue veil tail male die on me the beginning of this week from this disease. I had only had him for about 6 days, he came from liveaquaria. I put him in a 6 gallon tank with a few african dwarf frogs and a snail. He got these symptoms very suddenly a few days after he arrived; I fed him in the morning, and when I went to feed him that evening most of his tail was that charcoal color and it was already spreading to his body. I assumed it was fin rot. He died within 36 hours.

Now my ADFs have been dying off. Pulled 2 dead out of the tank this morning, with what appeared to be white patches on their bodies. 2 more have white, fluffy looking patches on their front legs. I'm wondering if this is the same disease affecting the frogs...

But what I'm most concerned about, and my biggest question is, what should I do with my tank? if I add another fish to the tank in a few weeks, would it contract this disease from the tank itself?
fishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #402 
Sena Hansler

Your frogs sound like columnaris to me, personally.

I will repeat again for this IF caught soon enough you might be able to fight it off. I used KANAPLEX (something I now suggest everyone gets as you usually have to order it). Shadow did pull through but his organs failed soon after - but at least I knew it WAS a possibility to fight it off. I bought him for the sole purpose to monitor every day, logged it every day, and caught it right before it hit.

Now I have not encountered the disease recently, and it may or may not have changed from what I encountered five times over. I've even fought off a weird strong strain of columnaris! seems like diseases for fish are getting stronger every year.

Anyways, you may want to quarantine the frogs individually, and medicate each. This stops the columnaris from bouncing around. Keep the heat about 76, as fungu loves it warmer - we don't want that!! Maracyn (or maracyn 2) works well on columnaris but again unsure for doses for frogs as they are different from fish. Don't get another fish until it is resolved.

As for the tank, break it down. I toss away substrate when encountering a vicious virus/disease, anything porous (fabric plants) are tossed away, other ornaments and the tank itself can be bleached and left to sit. Please make sure to super rinse it out! Acrylic tanks I just toss out... But glass tanks are usually fine.

To me everyone seems to encounter different strengths of the strain. Inhave reused my tanks after breaking them down and never had an issue. The breakdown time total was 48 hours for me since I let stuff sit quite a while, and usually "rinse and repeat".

Personally I just avoid blues now. It seems to be from one supplier to one store, but it is a wholesaler so I was unable to track it back.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #403 
fishgeek

before I saw this thread I was thinking the frogs had columnaris. But the betta who was housed with them for only a few days most definitely had mycobacteria, so I was wondering if the frogs contracted it, but it just looked different. I am treating them right now with aquarium salt and melafix (since there's no longer a betta in the tank). I was going to continue that for a week to see if it helps.

I'm most worried about the snail, though. I don't think that snails can contract the disease, but could he be carrying it? when I break down the tank to sanitize it, what will happen to the snail? From everything I have read, they recommend all affected fish be euthanized, even if they survive the disease, because they are carriers. It's my favorite snail:(
Old 08-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #404 
Sena Hansler

Not sure on the snail but I do know they dislike salt and a lot of meds!

I would not have euthanized Shadow, that is just stupid. He would have had his own tank, like he did, and his own supplies, like he did... I had 5 different water pails, one was just for him, as was a net, food, etc. Just don't breed, obviously. Just because a fish is a carrier, does not mean all the strains call for killing them. You will also have to take care not to let yourself get sick as the result of fish to human disease transfer is most unknown, or iffy at best.

If you want, for the snail, maybe you should keep the fella in his own small tank? Just know not to have anything used between his tank and another tank at all ever. Just in case!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #405 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Sena, honestly, I don't think Shadow ever beat the myco, and rather went into relapse a week later... Which happened to some of coppermoon's fish as well.

Mycobacteria must be treated as though it is highly contagious and untreatable.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #406 
Sena Hansler

I'm done on this thread. Have fun.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #407 
Helena1

Hi!

Could this be it? (please tell me it isn't). He was fine last night and this morning he was like this.
Helena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #408 
fishgeek

that looks like the exact same discoloring my fish had, except he had much, much more of it (almost his whole tail) seemingly overnight. Since it's a smaller spot it *might* be fin rot...but that coloring is very disconcerting. If it rapidly spreads within the next 24 hours...start planning how you will sanitize that tank.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #409 
Helena1

I went to the store to show them pictures of my fish and explain how his condition has deteriorated overnight. The guy said it's probably a bacterial infection and gave me tetracycline.

Now, the part of my fish's fin that was ''silver'' is now dark brown-black. Part of his face is white. I think part of the fin has disappeared. His colors are dull and very dark. He's not bright blue anymore. His pelvic fins are also dark, almost black (they were red)

He's still eating but it took a couple of tries before he ate the pellets ( he would eat them then''spit'' them), he's swimming around in the tank - he's now in a small tank with tetracycline, for 3 days at least.

If they are right, he should get better soon. If not....

I do not know if fin rot can be cured with tetracycline, so if it's fin rot and not a bacterial infection...I don't know...
Helena1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #410 
fishgeek

doesn't sound like fin rot. Hopefully the medication works... :(