Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #1 
OrangeAugust

Angry My bettas ate my nerite!!

Ok, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm about 90% sure.
My female bettas turned out to be excellent snailers- I had a snail overpopulation and then when I added my girls to my tank, I was seeing empty shells and my pond snail numbers were going down. Now I don't know if I have any pond snails, and the only ramshorn snails I have left are the bigger ones.
BUT I hadn't seen my nerite in about a week, and then yesterday I found its shell upside down and empty! I definitely didn't expect them to eat a nerite because they're so big- a lot bigger than the ramshorns! But if the snail had just died, wouldn't its body still be in the shell? Unless it died and the bettas realized it and started eating it, I dunno... This is very weird and surprising.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

They'll eat anything smaller than them... Or at least try.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #3 
OrangeAugust

Interesting. My male bettas each have a nerite and never tried eating them (though one of them did kill a mystery snail once).
I was going to say that none of my girls are bigger than their nerite, but actually 4 of them are. haha. In my head they're all still little. I doubt the biggest girl ate the snail, though, because she had her own nerite (a smaller one) when she was in a divided 10 gallon and she was full-size then.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

I had an apple snail - little less than a golfball size. My sorority pestered him until he died! Then left him to rot. some bettas can just be right out mean.

I had a pond snail baby that fit in a male betta's mouth. He did try to "eat" him but spat him out and left him alone after that!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #5 
SnowySurface

My bettas seem to leave my snails alone. For all I know, the moment I leave for work they could be messing with the snails until I come home. But so far I've only had 1 mysterious death and the body was still in the shell when I found it. So I guess I just happen to have 2 bettas that are snail compatable.

I still wonder why that one nerite died. It's like he literally dropped dead while I was at work. : /
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #6 
fishkid

I really doubt a betta could take down a live nerite. Most likely the snail died and the body was either eaten or just decomposed.
fishkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female bettas, nerite, nerite snails, sorority