Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2009, 07:49 AM   #1 
BurnishedOchre
New Member
 
BurnishedOchre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maine
On the note of prolonged absences...

I am hearing a lot about how long bettas can go without food (up to two weeks supposedly?) if you have to leave for some reason, but what about the water cleanliness? I am having plans to visit family friends for Christmas and will be gone at least two weeks - I am thinking I will need someone to change the water for me. I'm guessing this is correct? It just never gets mentioned along with the feeding times, and I would think it is rather important for the fish's health. And this is with a filter, I forgot to add.
BurnishedOchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
I have mine in 1 gallons, 1.5 gallons, 2 gallon and 2.5 gallons. I had someone come in every other day to feed once a day.She didn't come on weekends, though. I had 6 bettas at the time and I didn't want to have to ask her to do water changes on that many fish. The less you feed, the less waste is produced. I just changed their water right before I left and right after I came back. My fish did just fine with it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #3 
kelly528
Member
 
kelly528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnishedOchre View Post
I am hearing a lot about how long bettas can go without food (up to two weeks supposedly?) if you have to leave for some reason, but what about the water cleanliness? I am having plans to visit family friends for Christmas and will be gone at least two weeks - I am thinking I will need someone to change the water for me. I'm guessing this is correct? It just never gets mentioned along with the feeding times, and I would think it is rather important for the fish's health. And this is with a filter, I forgot to add.

Will you be getting your new tank before then? Also sorry, was it cycled or uncycled?

I really wouldn't leave anything smaller than a 10 gallon without water changes for 2 weeks. With a 3 gallon, it is definitely feasible to ask someone to clean it once (the 100% change you do) during those two weeks. With a cleaning before you leave, a cleaning in the middle of your trip and a cleaning as soon as you get back, you should be just fine. I know your guy is struggling with some inflamed gills, so you'll need to keep the tank clean.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #4 
BurnishedOchre
New Member
 
BurnishedOchre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
Will you be getting your new tank before then? Also sorry, was it cycled or uncycled?

I really wouldn't leave anything smaller than a 10 gallon without water changes for 2 weeks. With a 3 gallon, it is definitely feasible to ask someone to clean it once (the 100% change you do) during those two weeks. With a cleaning before you leave, a cleaning in the middle of your trip and a cleaning as soon as you get back, you should be just fine. I know your guy is struggling with some inflamed gills, so you'll need to keep the tank clean.
I don't think I remember mentioning the acquisition of a new tank - unless something goes wrong, I'm planning on using the 3 gallon he's in as long as it is useful.

On that note, however, I do understand that it needs to be kept clean (as I adhere to that fact without question) - the request to clean it 100% shouldn't be too much of a burden on someone - I just have to make sure they do it okay and not put in unconditioned water or too much salt, etc.

I was thinking about his inflamed gills when I made this post - thanks for bringing that up. :) He seems to be doing much better today - I haven't yet had the time to change the water, but it will be done tonight. He isn't freezing in random places, except only in a more 'normal' fashion (ie. pectoral fins still beating). :) Thanks for the response! It has been really great in helping me figure out a battle plan for the future. :D

EDIT: Dang, I forgot to add - the tank is cycled, with the additional help from a BIO wheel which supposedly has bacteria on it to help add to the water through the outlet. The filter hasn't been in the filter system itself due to the fungus medicine, but that should change very soon.

Last edited by BurnishedOchre; 11-18-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer question
BurnishedOchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #5 
BurnishedOchre
New Member
 
BurnishedOchre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I have mine in 1 gallons, 1.5 gallons, 2 gallon and 2.5 gallons. I had someone come in every other day to feed once a day.She didn't come on weekends, though. I had 6 bettas at the time and I didn't want to have to ask her to do water changes on that many fish. The less you feed, the less waste is produced. I just changed their water right before I left and right after I came back. My fish did just fine with it.
The less food = less waste fact is very helpful - I will definitely make sure that he gets less to eat while I'm away to help reduce waste buildup.

How long were you away from your fish?

This is all very good information - thanks a lot! :D
BurnishedOchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #6 
AlexXx
Member
 
AlexXx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Boca Raton, Fl.
If the fish arent eating, then they arent going to be pooping! So less food less waste, id say they should be fine.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Central Texas
I was away from my fish for 15 days.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #8 
kelly528
Member
 
kelly528's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnishedOchre View Post
I don't think I remember mentioning the acquisition of a new tank - unless something goes wrong, I'm planning on using the 3 gallon he's in as long as it is useful.
Whoops lol I am tracking too many threads/users in my head... I was thinking of someone else.

Quote:
On that note, however, I do understand that it needs to be kept clean (as I adhere to that fact without question) - the request to clean it 100% shouldn't be too much of a burden on someone - I just have to make sure they do it okay and not put in unconditioned water or too much salt, etc.
You can prepare the water well ahead of time in a few clean milk jugs. Just add the appropriate dechlor and salt, and make sure they shake it up (in case the salt settles out) before they use it.

Quote:
I was thinking about his inflamed gills when I made this post - thanks for bringing that up. :) He seems to be doing much better today - I haven't yet had the time to change the water, but it will be done tonight. He isn't freezing in random places, except only in a more 'normal' fashion (ie. pectoral fins still beating). :) Thanks for the response! It has been really great in helping me figure out a battle plan for the future. :D
Yay! So glad to hear he's doing better!

Quote:
EDIT: Dang, I forgot to add - the tank is cycled, with the additional help from a BIO wheel which supposedly has bacteria on it to help add to the water through the outlet. The filter hasn't been in the filter system itself due to the fungus medicine, but that should change very soon.
Have you been taking the appropriate precautions to make sure the bacteria are alive while out of the tank? They need food and oxygen, otherwise you may be looking at re-cycling your tank.

Also once it is cycled it is optimal to try and leave as many bacteria in the tank as possible during water changes. So you should stay away from dramatic water changes. I suggest a gravel vac if you don't already have one. In a fully cycled 3 gallon, you should only need to change about 25% once a week. This will also make it easier on whoever is cleaning the tank.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #9 
BurnishedOchre
New Member
 
BurnishedOchre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
Whoops lol I am tracking too many threads/users in my head... I was thinking of someone else.


You can prepare the water well ahead of time in a few clean milk jugs. Just add the appropriate dechlor and salt, and make sure they shake it up (in case the salt settles out) before they use it.


Yay! So glad to hear he's doing better!


Have you been taking the appropriate precautions to make sure the bacteria are alive while out of the tank? They need food and oxygen, otherwise you may be looking at re-cycling your tank.

Also once it is cycled it is optimal to try and leave as many bacteria in the tank as possible during water changes. So you should stay away from dramatic water changes. I suggest a gravel vac if you don't already have one. In a fully cycled 3 gallon, you should only need to change about 25% once a week. This will also make it easier on whoever is cleaning the tank.
...I think I flubbed on the bacteria part - I just assumed that the BIO wheel had bacteria on it already and I trusted the advertising. I think I'll be getting some bacterial supplement as soon as I can (which actually might be tomorrow! Hooray!) So I think I am re-cycling the tank, or actually just starting it. *sighs* Well, lesson learned I suppose.

I do have a gravel vac, thankfully - it is awfully cumbersome I have to say. I might trim the length of the piping so that it's easier to manage - it's about 5 feet long, and that's a lot for water to go through. Also I have to start it the old fashioned way, not by the directions - there is this cross-bar on the top of the tank that I can't remove (it's a support for the filter construct that IS removable), and so I can't tip the vacuum part of the gravel vac upward to start a siphon. Other than that, it is easy to work with.

The multiple jugs is an awesome idea - thank you for suggesting it! I have one jug already - gotta get some more for my collection, then. XD

Thank you SO much for your advice! I don't think I would have known what to do as strongly without it.
BurnishedOchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
absence, clean, trip, water

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prolonged flaring? peace_frog21 Betta Fish Care 4 03-26-2008 01:30 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.