Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #1 
TTAMB

Feeding

Hey all, new to the forum here, I got my girlfriend a Betta when she moved into her new appt. to keep her company when I leave with the Marines. She was aginst it, didn't want a pet and especially not a fish, I got her one anyway because I'm hardheaded. She loves it, and now pays him more attention than me. My question is how often to feed it? The guy at the store said once a week, the kit we got says every other day and the food pack says 2 or 3 times a day. I've had fish but never a betta and didn't feed them multiple times a day but didn't normally let them go for a week either just curious what it should be.

I leave in about a month for 6 months, I'm getting her a female when I leave and a breeding tank, and probably a bigger one. Her goal is to have bread them by the time I get back. So there will be questions about that soon

P.S. his name is Bayliss
TTAMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Bettas should be fed twice a day, 2-3 pellets each time. The petstore employees don't know what they're talking about.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #3 
TTAMB

Thanks, we've been feeding him twice a day because he likes it and gets excited.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good. :) I'm glad your g/f likes him. Bettas have great personalities.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #5 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
The petstore employees don't know what they're talking about.
^^^ Print this out and put it above your bed.

Seriously, they probably know as much as you do about fish. Any questions? Ask them here. Taking a LFS employee's advice can really put you in a hole.

Also, I have to add that breeding pet-store bettas is a big no-no. In fact, most pet store bettas are 'past their prime' by the time they hit the shelves and he will definitely be a geezer by the time you leave. Plus, pet store bettas have 'mystery lineage' and you may or may not remember from those high-school days in the cafeteria that anything 'mystery' should not be messed around with. You have no idea what kind of weak genes and deformities your betta will pass on to potential fry.

Last edited by kelly528; 11-18-2009 at 05:48 PM.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #6 
TTAMB

Where else do you get a betta?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #7 
Calmwaters

Find a local breeder or try aquabid.com but they are expensive due to the shipping most of them come from Tialand. Good luck with your fish. They are very addictive just ask ChristinaRoss or me or any of us on here. LOL
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #8 
HopeInHeart

Quote:
Also, I have to add that breeding pet-store bettas is a big no-no. In fact, most pet store bettas are 'past their prime' by the time they hit the shelves and he will definitely be a geezer by the time you leave. Plus, pet store bettas have 'mystery lineage' and you may or may not remember from those high-school days in the cafeteria that anything 'mystery' should not be messed around with. You have no idea what kind of weak genes and deformities your betta will pass on to potential fry.
I can't see the harm in trying to breed them. All of my bettas are petstore bettas and some look young. Although I don't really know anything about deformities and weak genes.
HopeInHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

There are some that have bred beautiful petstore bettas. The people who supply the petstores probably don't use selective breeding with their stock.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #10 
dh5daaaccfdd

You feed them 2 times a day.
dh5daaaccfdd is offline   Reply With Quote