Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #1 
ScuitoAmi150

Smile Designing a new tank

For Christmas I'm hoping to get two half moon tanks for each of my bettas. They currently have a dual tank, it's too small.

I'm going to put the tanks back to back so they can still see each other. The tanks are a gallon. I want to put fake plants in the tanks, and some other hiding spots. The tank is 4" or 5" wide and 8" long. Like 9" inches tall.

What kind of stuff should I put in it?
I don't want real plants or rocks. I haven't exactly had good luck with cleaning rocks out of tanks.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #2 
ScuitoAmi150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScuitoAmi150 View Post
For Christmas I'm hoping to get two half moon tanks for each of my bettas. They currently have a dual tank, it's too small.

I'm going to put the tanks back to back so they can still see each other. The tanks are a gallon. I want to put fake plants in the tanks, and some other hiding spots. The tank is 4" or 5" wide and 8" long. Like 9" inches tall.

What kind of stuff should I put in it?
I don't want real plants or rocks. I haven't exactly had good luck with cleaning rocks out of tanks.
I am also thinking of getting a snail or two for each tank. I know some people on here have them. And my teachers tank is over run with them so maybe he'll sell me a few. I know they are all healthy. But I have some questions.
-Aren't snails salt water?
-Will they hurt my bettas?
-What do you feed them?
-What are the pros and cons of having a snail in the tank?

Last edited by ScuitoAmi150; 11-20-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #3 
ChristinaRoss

if the tanks are only a gallon, i wouldnt add anything else, itll be overstocked

there are many snails that are freshwater, they will not hurt the betta but the betta MAY pick on the snail, depends on the bettas temperment.

i have snails.......they do a little cleaning, not as much as people like to think, but their entertaining to watch to me. i feed mine algae wafers
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:55 AM   #4 
ScuitoAmi150

I love snails! =] Okay I won't add anything and I'll ask my teacher if I can have some snails.
how many should I get per tank? My teachers are multiplying like mad
Old 11-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #5 
Absltsweets

I have both good and bad opinions about snails.

If you're going to do snails, get one of the big black ones for each tank. If you get the small yellow snails they will reproduce like crazy.

But I agree 100% with Christina. Your 1 gallon will be overstocked if you add anything else.
Absltsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #6 
ChristinaRoss

i wouldnt add ANY snails or anythng else to a one gallon tank
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

I agree with the above. You can't add anything else to a 1 gallon since a 1 gallon is a little small for one Betta anyway.
If you upgrade to a 5 gallon, you could get away with one snail and one betta in there.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #8 
vaygirl

Some snails reproduce by themselves too. I know my pond snails are reproducing like mad. Just say no to snails. You'll be sorry when you're overrun and you have to vacuum the tank a couple times a day just to keep ahead. The level of waste could easily kill your betta if it gets out of hand. Especially in a one gallon tank. I have a 16 gallon tank and I have snail poo all over.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #9 
ScuitoAmi150

I clean my tank a lot so hopefully it won't get all gross. I already got the snails...if it gets out of hand or starts to I'll give them to the local pet store. Not sure if they will take snails...we used to sell them mice
Old 11-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #10 
vaygirl

I've heard that if they start to go crazy, you can put a slice of cucumber in your tank and that draws them to it. Then you just remove it while they're on it and throw them out. I couldn't bring myself to do that cause I'm a soft hearted sap. My shrimp has been eating them and saving me.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote