Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #1 
New2Betas

First Water Change Today, have a few questions

Today will be Master Bettas first water change and I want to make sure its done right.

I kept his cup from the store so plan to have him in that white cleaning his home.

1. Do I add salt to his tank every time I do a water change? (100% water change once a week)

2. When I first brought him home I floated his cup in his bowl for a white, then added a little of the new tank water to his cup, waited 30 min. Added a little more water, waited 30 min, then released him. Do I need to do this every time I do a water change?
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I add a little salt but some people think that you shouldn't. It gives them some electrolytes, so it's up to you. How big is the bowl? I put them in the temp bowl (that's the same temp as what they were in) and clean the tank, add the water and water conditioner into the tank and then put them back in. Make sure you have water conditioner because it cancels out all the bad chemicals in your tap water.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:10 AM   #3 
eMel

Something tells me, after reading your posts, that I'm an absolute heathen because I leave my fish in the tank while I siphon water out, vacuum, and add water back in. Should I be netting them and keeping them elsewhere while I play their janitor?
eMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #4 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMel View Post
Something tells me, after reading your posts, that I'm an absolute heathen because I leave my fish in the tank while I siphon water out, vacuum, and add water back in. Should I be netting them and keeping them elsewhere while I play their janitor?
It's really up to you. Some people say removing them to clean stresses them out, while others (like me) do it as a safety precaution. Either way is fine...

Salt is great, and I add some each time I do a water change. I normally try to get the temp from the cup they're in and the temp in the tank the same. If you don't, though, you'll need to float it.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I leave my guy and the cories in when vacuuming. Shrimp too. Tango likes to watch me vacuum. He's right next to the tube, watching the whole thing. I think you have to evaluate which stresses them more, leaving them in or removing them.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #6 
kelly528

My betta never flips out when I vacuum, but he goes nuts when I put him in a cup so I just leave him in the tank. I only do 25% wcs anyways.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #7 
lilyrazen

I leave them in unless i need to remove my divider, but when I do I leave Evan in because he is less stressed by me moving the tank decor around.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #8 
eMel

My concern has always been about hurting their eyes by netting them, since they don't have eyelids, know what I mean?
eMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:01 PM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

No you won't hurt them. I usually try to make it as stress free as possible. I take all of the plants out and catch them quick with the net so they don't stress out too much and then I put them in their temp bowls.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #10 
New2Betas

I have to take him out because I do 100% water changes weekly. But he is so laid back, nothing seams to bother him at all. I would describe his personality to be like a puppy. If you tap on the glass he comes “running” to you. So cute!
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote