betta fish

Old 11-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #11 
ChristinaRoss

it could be genetic as well

post a pic?
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #12 
charliehasacola

I wouldn't exactly give this person tips on euthinization yet. They seem to have given up on this fish, IMO. I'm just worried they'll put it down without reason when there is possible cure.
charliehasacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #13 
angel01

Ok, I have created a photo album. If you go to my profile, I think you should be able to access it. Pasha just had a bowel movement. I forgot to mention but he doesn't seem to have regular bowel movements, so maybe he is constipated? I took a photo of his poop. It's pretty big.

I've moved him to my solarium (which is warm because I grow orchids there). It's typically 25C in the daytime. He seems less lethargic. But still, no appetite. And changing his water every 2 days.
angel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:11 AM   #14 
kelly528

I can't see your photos but if you live in the lower mainland I can donate some of my filter media to you. That way, if you get a larger tank (2.5g-5g) with a filter, the bacteria on a scrap from my filter will start living in your filter and breaking down wastes (aka cycling).

I can also spare a little bit of frozen daphnia for you, or you can pick a pack up at any Mr.Pets for about 5 bucks.

The disfigured spine may be a constipation issue. Does he look like he swallowed a marble by any chance?
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #15 
angel01

Wow, thanks so much for the offer. I guess I would have to look into getting a new aquarium first. Will let you know.

Are you sure you don't see my album? When you go to my profile, the album is in the right margin. He doesn't look like he swallowed a marble, but his poop is the size of a pea.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #16 
kelly528

Okay i see them now... must have been my computer.

1) Did you see that poop come out of him? Betta pellets look similar when they have been soaking in water for a bit (they are actually made of tightly coiled 'sausage' of food).
2) I am just trying to distinguish... is his spine bent sideways or down?
3) From the pictures he doesn't look bloated but it is concerned that he lays on the bottom. I also get the impresson that he just has a bit of a odd back... I can definitely see that his dorsal fin is se back a little farther than normal.

Again, I am in maple ridge and nurse him back to health in a quarantine if it is close enough to be worth it. If you want to hold off on a tank until boxing day sales, I suggest putting him in a rubbermaid bin/tub. Since most starter kits don't come with heaters in Canada, you can just buy it now separate form the rest of the tank and put it in the tub.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #17 
angel01

Hi Kelly,
1) I haven't seen the poop actually come out of him, but the thing is that he doesn't have any other poop. I think that's why I've gone so long without changing water in the past is because usually there is no poop coming out with the water I change for him. I think he must be massively constipated.
2) in the photo it was bent sideways

I am downtown without a car, and not sure if the trip out would be worthwhile. I think I will try to ease his pain and do what I can from here, but thanks for the offer. I have added NUTRAFIN CYCLE to the water which is supposed to have these beneficial bacteria.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #18 
kelly528

I work at Bentall 4. I have a spare planted 5 gallon without anything in it right now... if it's bad, you can drop him off at Burrard Station any weekday at 4.30 and I will take him home and beef him up on some frozne foods.

Or if you need anything, like to borrow a heater or something just ask.