Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2009, 11:01 PM   #1 
chairmanzala

Emergency!! Please Help!!!

My betta fish alex is doing alright until a few days ago. He had this plastic plant in his tank and I'm guessing he got scared swam into the plant and cut himself. Also I was noticing every now and then I see a piece of his tail at the bottom of his tank like it is faling out. Can you guys please help me. I was just going to get him a 5 gallon with a heater. He is right now in a 1 gallon with a lamp and I'm using " the hot water in a water bottle" to keep the water warm. I will post replies and show pictures of my fish. PLease tell me how I can help him!!!
chairmanzala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #2 
chairmanzala

Heres the pics
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2009, 11:31 PM   #3 
JamieTron

I would keep the water conditions super clean to prevent any chance of bacterial infection. Perhaps you could try salt baths to help heal the wounds. I do salt dips, I have a quarantine tank to mix my salt bath in. 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water, I leave the betta in for 5 minutes then return it to the original tank. I usually treat them once for a wound caused by a plant etc just to prevent bacterial infections.

Make sure you dip water is the same temp as your tank water to prevent thermal shock to your betta. Use clean conditioned water for the salt dip, not water directly from the tank.

You should also remove your plastic plants from the tank to make sure you don't have fin rot on your hands rather then tearing from the plants. I would suggest a live plant, silk plants or non abrasive plastic plants for your new 5 gallon tank.

Last edited by JamieTron; 11-21-2009 at 11:34 PM.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:29 AM   #4 
AngelicScars

I agree with what was said above. You have to be careful about what plastic plants you use. A good way to test your plants is use a tissue or pantyhose and rub the plant against it, if it tears at all it can't be used.
I would definitely trash the one that hurt your betta. It is very likely that the plant is what tore his fins as well.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #5 
chairmanzala

I'm sorry to say guys but Alex is doing a lot worse now. He is still swimming around. But he's a lot weaker. I also noticed his fins and they were as if shred apart. It's as if they are disintegrating. Is this fin-rot? Please tell me how to cure it!Thank you :D
Old 11-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #6 
JamieTron

Hrmmm fin rot can cause a fin to fall off in chunks, I had a betta who had it that bad. I used maracyn from the petstore to treat it and he is fine now. Some people go with salt baths before the medicine but his was really bad so I used the medicine right away. You have to be careful when you use it because it removes the oxygen from the water. Make sure your water is well aerated and that you give the correct dose. With maracyn you treat for 5 days...but the fin takes a really long time to grow back. It's been a couple of months and Ichigo's fins are not 100%grown back yet.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I know there are lots of pro and con opinions about Melafix but it really helped my CT who was on death's door in one of the infamous death cups.

I used it (sparingly) for an advanced case of fin rot but it's supposed to be really good with wounds and ulcers too. I hope your lil guy does ok.
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote