Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #1 
kalliburr

Fish and Sound

So I've been thinking about my desktop situation, and I was wondering if anyone knows about the effects of loud music and whatnot on fish. I know being loud scares the fish away when you're fishing, but what about lots of noise just existing near their habitat? My goldfish didn't seem to mind, and I don't play things loud often, almost never, but I was just curious. Does anybody know?
kalliburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

My old living room setup was the TV up on the wall, with a 90 gallon on the left an a 75 gallon on the right. And a table between them with all my A/V stuff on it - included in that the subwoofer for my sound system, which is on the wall that the tanks were on. I did not notice anything different when I cranked it up. I think it's just a matter of conditioning, just like most things - They get used to it .
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #3 
kalliburr

Awesome!
kalliburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #4 
BettaPrincess13

I know they can feel vibrations of sound so I always keep my music fairly low and if I ever want to listen to loud music I put my headphones in. my thought is if the sound is louder so are the vibrations which I think might stress the fish so I try to have loud sounds near the vicinity of the tank but i'm not sure if thats true just my thought
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

If you've ever been underwater, then you know that you can't hear what's above water very well Though I don't know to what extend a fish hears like we do. Also, I think the glass would insulate sound.

However, if you drop something on the floor, the fish know....

I think if the sound makes the fish skittish, or puts them in a defensive position, then maybe it's too much. Again though, I would see if its just a momentary response to the new stimulus.

On a side note - something I was thinking about the other day. Dogs. So when we have company over and are chatting it up... How annoying that must be for the dogs like being in a room full of people speaking another language, occasionally understanding a word here and there.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

I think fish respond more to an uexpected loud noise like most of us would. I have a fish tank directly under my TV & none of the fish that have lived there have had issues that I've ever noticed. I'm not blaring my TV but I would think it kind loud being that close to it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #7 
BettaPrincess13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I think fish respond more to an uexpected loud noise like most of us would. I have a fish tank directly under my TV & none of the fish that have lived there have had issues that I've ever noticed. I'm not blaring my TV but I would think it kind loud being that close to it.
my tank is in the same situation except instead of a T.V its a radio that I have right underneath my tank (my tanks on a three shelf stand that my old printer used to be on and now the only place my 10 gal fits is on the printer table and the radio was moved to the shelf below it) my fish has never seemed bothered by the sound being so close but like you said the sound is never blaring lol but jaysee did make a point on the water and the glass helping to block sound so that probably helps the radio sound be less annoying to my fish lol
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote