Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 AM   #1 
ilovemynipsy

Is this okay for now?

Ugh, so I feel like I am neglecting my babies. I have two Betta's and they are both placed in these kind of tanks;
http://www.petco.com/product/10367/M...riumsFurniture

This is only a TEMPORARY living arrangement for them right now. I know not having the tanks heated is a problem, and I would like to be able to give them more room to swim and explore.

I am waiting on my big paycheck from work coming this week, and I will be purchasing a 10 gal tank to divide for them.

My question is, with these little junk tanks I have them in now, how is a safe way to go about changing the water without stressing them out with water changes? The water gets gross really quick, obviously. So when I clean them out, I usually just fill them back up with bottled water at room temp, so I have been maintaining around the same temp. of water for them, but I do not want them to die. Will they be okay for another 4-5 days? We just got them about 2 days ago.

Like I said, this is a short fix until I can get the other tank set up. I honestly think it's cruel to keep them trapped up like this, and think that they shouldn't sale tanks like these. I rescued these fish, with little to no money, so this was my only choice on no notice.

All help & advice is appreciated.
ilovemynipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. They'll be fine until you can get the 10 gallon for thhem. The water will need to be changed 100% twice a week. It won't stress them out. You don't have to use bottled water. You can use tap water, as long as you use water conditioner.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #3 
lilyrazen

I totally agree with DQ.
And don't feel bad, If they were pet store buys then they were in tiny little cups so using that for temp. use it waay better than those cups.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #4 
ilovemynipsy

All is good, I set up their 10 gal today!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 PM   #5 
HopeInHeart

How exciting!
HopeInHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds great!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:58 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Awesome! They'll love their new home. :)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #8 
bettagirl07

Hi ilovemynipsy,

I have 3 bettas and my little guy November is also in the marina betta tank. He is the happiest of the 3. He seems to love his tank that sits in our living room. I can't have a big tank out here cause I still live with my parents. November loves to watch everyone and builds huge bubblenests. He always swims over to me and gets all excited. I really think it depends on the fish...cause 1 of mine seems so stressed out in his 1 & 1/2 gallon tank. I've also heard that some people have had good luck with the smaller tank. As long as I keep the tank clean I think he should stay happy and healthy. Oh, and when I was younger I kept a Betta in a small (around a gallon) unfiltered tank with no heater and he lived happily for 5 years!
bettagirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #9 
ilovemynipsy

Hey, is it okay to leave Bett'as in Saltwater, or no? People have diff. views so I am just curious.