Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #1 
bettaowner101

Fin Rot UPDATE And New 5 Gallon Tank Filtered

Ok, My Betta Sparky has had fin rot for about 3 weeks now. The First 2 weeks I tried treating him with clean water and some Aquarium Salt. He was in an unfiltered 1 gallon without heater. He became very lethargic too. I bought him some Maracyn 2 a week ago and he hasn't gotten any better. I got a new 5 gallon tank yesterday with a filter and a heater. The temp always stays at 78 because of the heater and the tank came with a power filter. Today, My dad put my betta into the new tank! I already added some salt and Water Conditioner. I added 2 Teaspoons of Aquarium Salt and I am going to keep on using the Maracyn. On the first day of Maracyn, You add more than you are supposed to and I did that today. In the tank, I have a little cave with plants on it and I have another big purple plant. When my dad put my betta in the tank, he was VERY pale. I could tell he was stressed. He has been hiding in the cave and I added the Maracyn. He doesn't come up for air much and I think the Maracyn will actually work now since the temp is at a constant temp and I will be cleaning the water more often. I have a feeling he will die this week. He is just laying down in the cave slanted and breathing. He hasn't been eating much and I don't know how to get him interested to come out of the cave. The last time he ate was 2 days ago and he ate 1 pellet. Should I keep on using the Maracyn or do you think it is too late to save him?
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would stop using the Maracyn. It may be what is making him lethargic. I used Melafix on one of mine one time and it made my betta act like yours is acting. He laid on the bottom and hardly moved, then when I did a complete water change and stopped using the medicine, he perked up.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #3 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I would stop using the Maracyn. It may be what is making him lethargic. I used Melafix on one of mine one time and it made my betta act like yours is acting. He laid on the bottom and hardly moved, then when I did a complete water change and stopped using the medicine, he perked up.
hmm.. Ok. Btw, he is kinda breathing heavier than usual.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #4 
kelly528

Meds are just freaking him out. Stop dosing Maracyn. Keep the salt, keep on the heat. Give him lots of places to hide, the new digs are probably kind of overwhelming him! Also, keep any sort of tank lights off until he gets better and keep the room lighting fairly low and natural.

I would tempt him to eat with some frozen bloodworms. He needs to keep his strength up to beat this.

I'm so glad he made it til your birthday!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:34 PM   #5 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
Meds are just freaking him out. Stop dosing Maracyn. Keep the salt, keep on the heat. Give him lots of places to hide, the new digs are probably kind of overwhelming him! Also, keep any sort of tank lights off until he gets better and keep the room lighting fairly low and natural.

I would tempt him to eat with some frozen bloodworms. He needs to keep his strength up to beat this.

I'm so glad he made it til your birthday!
Ok, I will stop dosing the Maracyn 2 and I will keep the salt. I have never seen him EVER go to the top of the new tank to get air. I don't think he is interested in anything anymore. Poor Little Guy.