Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #11 
Arethrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Get an API freshwater master test kit to monitor your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
okat ty, how long should i not vacuum the gravel for? and do i do water change while it cycles?

and also how do i know when the cycle is over?

i plan on getting 5g eclipse Hex, it says it comes with some sort of BIO-wheel (dont know what it does) and im going to keep my beta fish alone for while

how long would it take to cycle that?
Arethrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #12 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethrox View Post
okat ty, how long should i not vacuum the gravel for? and do i do water change while it cycles?

and also how do i know when the cycle is over?

i plan on getting 5g eclipse Hex, it says it comes with some sort of BIO-wheel (dont know what it does) and im going to keep my beta fish alone for while

how long would it take to cycle that?

I just vacuum until I have vacuumed all the gravel. You see the being sucked out-- VERY satisfying lol! Unlike vacuuming carpets :/

I am not sure whether to do water changes with a fishless cycle, but with a fish-in cycle, definitely.

You'll know by measuring the ammonia, nitratites and nitrates. When everything except nitrAtes is at0 for about a week, you'll know you're all finished. The API kit DQ mentioned is absolutely the best bang for your buck. A very good test kit... it seems like a lot of different chemicals to test (I believe the kit tests 8 different parameters) but you will use all of them in basic fishkeeping.
The Bio-Wheel filter is an awesome filter... it has lots of surface for bacteria to grow on, which = more bacteria, whiich = less ammonia/nitrIte. All the best filters rely heavily on only 2 types of filtration: biological filtration (bacteria in the filter consuming the impurities) and mechanical filtration (sponges, etc to trap debris).
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #13 
Arethrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
I just vacuum until I have vacuumed all the gravel. You see the being sucked out-- VERY satisfying lol! Unlike vacuuming carpets :/

I am not sure whether to do water changes with a fishless cycle, but with a fish-in cycle, definitely.

You'll know by measuring the ammonia, nitratites and nitrates. When everything except nitrAtes is at0 for about a week, you'll know you're all finished. The API kit DQ mentioned is absolutely the best bang for your buck. A very good test kit... it seems like a lot of different chemicals to test (I believe the kit tests 8 different parameters) but you will use all of them in basic fishkeeping.
The Bio-Wheel filter is an awesome filter... it has lots of surface for bacteria to grow on, which = more bacteria, whiich = less ammonia/nitrIte. All the best filters rely heavily on only 2 types of filtration: biological filtration (bacteria in the filter consuming the impurities) and mechanical filtration (sponges, etc to trap debris).

okay how do i initiate the start of Cycling,

while it is cycling am i suppose to graval vacuum one a week?

if im still suppose to gravel vacuum then doesnt that mean that theres no difference in my weekly maintainance during and after cycling? and that i should basically not worry about it and continue with the weekly maintenance?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

When you are cycling, I don't think you are supposed to gravel vac the entire tank. I think you are supposed to vaccuum like a third or half.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #15 
Arethrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
When you are cycling, I don't think you are supposed to gravel vac the entire tank. I think you are supposed to vaccuum like a third or half.
okay thank you, so the only difference i do is basically vacuum only 1/3, then i check the water with the API Master kit and if the

Ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = under 20ppm

that means it is completely cycled and i can vacuum the whole tank?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think you are ever supposed to vaccuum the entire thing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #17 
vaygirl

I'm not by any means an expert but I don't vacuum the whole thing and my tank params are 0/0/10 or sometimes 0/0/5. I vacuum the front one week and the back the next week and so on....
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote