Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #11 
New2Betas

Sounds like starting the cycling is a pain in the you know what. Is there an easer way then adding drops and testing the water every day? Also sound like it could be expencive.
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #12 
vaygirl

Fish are work. There's no easy way. But, if you cycle, you're looking at a lot of work in the beginning and then very little work thereafter.

I have my 16 cycled and I do a 15 minute water change weekly. I either siphon or vacuum out 3 gallons into a bucket, pour the new water back in, done. Monthly I clean out the filter, replace the filter media if necessary (I go by the instructions that came with the filter) and that's it. I have it all scheduled through Outlook's calendar so there's no guesswork. It pops up on my comp and yells at me.

I test my params weekly but really, if you're good with the changes and don't make any major changes to your aquarium, you can check params monthly once it's established and stable. I'm just very careful about my tank. (Years ago I kept guppies in a 10 gallon and I killed the poor things with neglect. I don't wanna do that again.)

As far as price, the conditioner lasts a while for the changes and the test kit should also last a while. Filter media is a couple of bucks a month. Setting up a new tank is really the biggest expense. Big sales are coming this week, so do what you can really.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #13 
kelly528

All you need is a master test kit ($30) and a bottle of really cheap ammonia ($3). There is no easier way except if you already have a cycled tank and can simply squeeze filter drippings into your new tank. Which isn't the case here.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #14 
Glockafella

Small tanks dont take near as long as big tanks, I have had 55 gallon salt water tanks take over a month to cycle...

I would guess a 1-3 gallon tank would only take a week or 2 to cycle if there is enough biological filter available in the tank.
Glockafella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #15 
New2Betas

Is there a way to start the cycling without waitintg to put fish in. FOr example if I am able to get the 10 gallon tank and a filter on black friday I dont want to wait forever to put Master Betta in it.

Also, I'm looking at getting a larger used tank with a used filter, since the filter has been set up before, would I still need to start over with the cycling?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

You CAN cycle with fish in the tank. This is info I got from another member.Raise the temperature to 82, feed fish sparingly and do daily water changes. Your tank will be cycled when your ammonia and nitrites are at zero for a couple of days.Also, I think live plants will help your tank cycle quicker.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:13 PM   #17 
New2Betas

What kind of heater will let me raise the temp to 82? All the ones I see dont go above 78. Would 82 be too hot for bettas? I really appreciate all your help. I Just want to be as educated as possible so I don’t put any fish I bring home in harms way.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:18 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm not real sure about the temperature thing. It was in my notes. lol I would recommend a Marineland stealth visitherm 50 watt heater.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote